Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mughal Empire-Period A

What have you found most interesting about the Mughal Empire? What questions do you have? Post your thoughts and comments here. Feel free to reply to classmates comments and questions.

26 comments:

  1. The first thing that I thought was interesting was that some emperors started ruling and learning about the empire when they were very young, like 13. Second, I thought that it was interesting how the sons would compete against each other for the throne and they would kill their other half brothers. Also, how the mothers would get in on it too and try to kill each other's sons. Finally, I thought that how the Taj Mahal was made in honor of Shah Jahan's loved wife who died after giving birth to their 14th son, Mumtaz, was interesting. My question is: How old was Mumtaz when she died?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing i found most interesting about the Mughal Empire is that instead of spreading the wealth of the empire to everyone, Shah Jahan wanted to show of the wealth by constructing the Peacock Throne. The wealth went to very valuable treasures too. While, the poor who lived near the kindom had very little. My question: How much money did Shah Jahan use to have the Peacock Throne made? (because it was made with many valuable jewls)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response to Sophie's question- How old was Mumtaz when she died? :
    Mumtaz was in her late 30s when died giving birth to her 14th son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its interesting how 20,000 workers could organize themselves and creat a building like the Taj Mahal in a 27 year period. If it was all done by hand, how did workers construct the dome and pillars surrounding it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Taj Mahal cost roughly 32,000,000 rupees to build or about 1,000,000 american dollars. This was a lot back then and Shah Jahan nearly bankrupted the empire in building it

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing i found interesting about the Mughal Empire was that Shah Jahan was sent to prison by his son Aurangzeb. I also thought it was interesting when Aurangzeb was emperor he wasn't tolerant of religions and that led to the decline of the empire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what i found most interesting about the mughal empire was that emporor akbar took the throwne at age 13, and throught his lifetime he never learned to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the reign of the mughal empire lasted 332 years, from 1526-1858

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mughal Empire was the strongest Muslim empire. Akbar was a major ruler of this empire.
    How old was Akbar when he died? What was his wife's name?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Response to Sophie's Question: Mumtaz was 38 when she died.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Response to Cailinn's question: About 1,000,000 American dollars to build the Taj Mahal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. question- umm since akbar was 13 and his guards and servants and people like that were all older and tougher than him, couldnt a person just walk up to him and murder him on the spot and then they would be king. im talking about like when the king is all alone in his bed room or something and they just walk in and akbar would have no chance because its some ripped twenty year old guy against a 13 year old kid. if that is the case, well being a 13 year old emporor is a realy fragile duty

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thing I found most interesting about the Mughal empire is that they succeeded when they were tolerant of other religions. Akbar was probably their greatest leader, and when the rulers after him stopped tolerating other religions, the empire didn't do as well. This shows that sometimes diversity and tolerance can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Response to Sophie- I agree that the competition between brothers and family for the throne was really interesting. I wonder why the Emperors didn't just appoint their successor while they were still alive so there wouldn't be fighting over it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Response to Matt- That's a really good point about a 13 year-old being no match for someone stronger. I think he must've just been really well guarded.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with jack that they succeeded when they were tolerant of religions was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Response to Connor- Akbar was 62 years old when he died.

    ReplyDelete
  18. in the movie we were watching, he has an older brother why didnt his brother become emperor and when he was thirteen and decided to not to behead that man did he choose not to do the beheading all the time and made someone else do it? i thought it was really interesting how he was soo young and had all that power to becoming the emporer. matt has a really good question that i also wonder did anyone get jealous and try to kill him like his servants?

    -Stavan

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think that it was interesting how the mughal empire got so far in battles and money and it seemed like the empire would never end. which leads me to wonder how the mughal empire really ended. Like what were the exact reasons why the empire ended.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was Akbar always tolerant of religions or did it eventually come to him? Also, I agree with Matt K. that anyone could kill him but, he must of had a lot of people who like him because no one was stopping he/she. I was also wondering why the empress of Akbar didn't just leave him instead of even considering poisoning herself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. (I forgot to this that Mvs3896 is Matt Sweeney)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I concur with Chris, how was it possible to create such a great bulding only by hand? Was it made from a machine and if it was, then what machine existed that primitive time?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought that the movie we watched in class really displayed how tolerent and accepting Akbar was, I can't see why some people didn't like him.
    -Matt Sweeney

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was also supprised that the empress was so attracted to Akbar, but she was so faithful to her religion that she would even look him in the eyes.
    -Matt Sweeney

    ReplyDelete
  25. What I found interesting was the fact that brothers killed eachother just to be on the thrown .I agree w. sophie because it is interesting how mothers got involved with the sibling rivalry. My question is when that guy asked him to behead the other emperor , what made him not do it the first time?

    -Aaliyah

    ReplyDelete