Monday, May 3, 2010

India-Pakistan-Period C

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/09/in.pak/map.lg.jpg
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/kashmir/front.html
http://library.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/SouthAsia/kashmir.html

Click on the links above to get a deeper understanding of the issues surrounding the debate over the states of Jammu and Kashmir, an area of land in northwestern India that has been a source of conflict between India (Hindu) and Pakistan (Muslims) for many years. After doing some background research respond to the following question.

Imagine you a world leader who has remained neutral (you do not favor India's position or Pakistan's) in the debate over which country (India or Pakistan) should have control of Jammu and Kashmir.

How would you attempt to resolve the conflict that exists over this area of land? Remember you should propose a solution that you think both India and Pakistan would agree to. When thinking of a solution keep in mind what both India and Pakistan want.

42 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since India does not want Pakistan to have the land while India themselves already have alot of land i think that Pakistan should take a portion of Kashmir that is closer to their side while India takes a small portion of the land so they can avoid crossborder terrorism.


    -Noah

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that pakistan should get it not because they have a cooler name but because they are friends with the usa and if they didnt get it they might end our friendship

    ReplyDelete
  4. India wants Pakistan to stop having terrorism at the border between India and Pakistan. Pakistan wants their people to be able to vote on which country they live in, but India wont even consider it. So Pakistan should stop having terrorism with INdia and India should let people vote on which country they want to live in . That way everybody gets what they want

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep the line where it is. The Muslims in India in that area should either be nicer to them and give them all the rights Hindus have, or escort them to Pakistan. The Hindus and Pakistans should be able to come back to India. The border should stay where it is.

    I disagree with Bridget because no one's gonna be happy about China getting it and China would only be brought into the war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with zack, they do have a cooler name, but that is not the point. I think pakistan has a good idea. I like the idea that the people of jammu and the people of kashmir must vote on who they want to join. If i were to decide a fair way to see who they want to join, i would do what pakistan is doing. i Would have them vote to see who they want to join, and whoever the loser is doesnt get the land.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Pakistan has a great idea about having the Kashmirians vote on which country they would like join them. Unfortunately the indians do not agree with this solution. I believe a vote would be the fairest way but the country who lost would not be happy. I don't think splitting the country in two would work either because they split one state in two for them to share and that did not work. overall I think the fairest and best way would be to have the kashmir people vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely disagree with zack. Just because Pakistan might not get Kashmir wont end our friendship with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i partially agree with noah india already has enough land and pakistan needs more land i disagree with noah i think india shouldnt get any land at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THATS MEEE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sean Labbe ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with john a vote is the best way to go

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the terrorism stops and both pakistan and Inda mix together then maybe they don't need to have a war

    ReplyDelete
  13. I personaly think that neither Pakistan or India should get the land. I think that China should get the land to stop the fighting. In return China would give both India and Pakistan their own two panda bears. That way they get two panda bears and stop fighting. Then China would also be happy because they already have a lot of pandas and they would get more land.

    -BRIDGET☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. i agree with what noah said. Pakistan doesnt have a lot of the land so they should get the land while india gets a little piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe the best way to fix the Kashmir problem is to have the areas of Jammu and Kashmir vote on five diffrent options options of what to do.
    1- Join India.
    2- Join Pakistan.
    3- Become its own country.
    4- Kashmir joins India and Jammu joins Pakistan.
    5- Jammu joins India and Kashmir joins Pakistan.
    Every country gets a fair chance at the land. Even if their are more muslims then India can go in and try and promote their favorite option. In democracy everyone gets a fair chance at their way. Of the options number three is my favorite because then neither pakistan or India gets the land. That way if it really is a Muslim country and it wants to partner with Pakistan it can do so of thei rown free will
    -Solana

    ReplyDelete
  16. I disagree with Noah because India and Pakistan share a land now and that is not working out well. So i don't think that is the best resoution

    ReplyDelete
  17. John Marquardt i somewhat agree with you but unfortunately the vote would just lead to more wars and more violence which wouldnt be good at all now would it John??

    ReplyDelete
  18. what bridget says is a good idea, but that would cause a problem with india and pakistan because they would get mad that china got the land and they didnt do anything to get it. there for pakistan and india could start a war with china

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we should just get rid of the place and make it a desert. If we make it a deseret than nobody will want it. It should be made a desert and it will be taken away from both of them (i have notice that when i would fight over something my mom would take it away).


    $ GAVIN $ THILL $

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Solana the kasmirians are not going to vote for the muslims just because they are muslims. The kashmirians would want to live with the better group instead of just the same religion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that sean is right. also, maybe India and Pakistan should just ignore each other.

    ReplyDelete
  22. John you dont understand. No matter who "wins" the vote there is no real winner because it will lead to violence and when there is violence there is no winner.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that since Kashmir is legally "property"
    of India that Pakistan should stop creating problems. If the muslims in Kashmir really cared about how they were being treated they would leave. India should allow the people of Kashmir to leave if they wish if they do not already.Pakistan has no authority to try and take over Kashmir wether the population is mainly muslim like their country or not. Kashmir can try to getr independence so they can be their own country but not to just become a part of pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I disagree with ,maryam. I think that India and Pakistan should just share Kashmir. if its really important to them, people from both countries should be able to live there in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i disagree with sean on the solution of "ignoring" each other. It doesnt happen that easy. During this type of situation since the muslims population larger than the Hindu population. It will be good to let the hindus move into kashmir. Only because the muslims will have the majority of space other wise

    ReplyDelete
  27. i wold agree with myself cause thats a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  28. i think that pakistan and india should share kashmir ,so i disagree with maryam

    ReplyDelete
  29. i agree with camille that if terrorism stops and they all mix together, then they might not need a war

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with Kyle, they should have a vote in Kashmir to see who gets it. Not fight over it.

    ~Sean Labbe~

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with solana and I think it should just become its own country.

    $ GAVIN $ THILL $

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree with camille and that they should just stop terrorism and become a big family.

    We are family hangin with my brothers and me.

    $ GAVIN $ THILL $

    ReplyDelete
  33. i think that the people from pakistan and india should vote to see who should get possession of kashmir because personally i don't think there is another way that is fair for both of the countries. but one issue with voting is that leaders may cheat so their country could get the land, so to fix this a mutual country between both india and pakistan should count the votes for each country and then tell the leaders who won. also i think that fighting isn't the answer for this because the countries should use their money for more important things that don't involve war.

    i disagree with gavin because if you made kashmir a desert then the people that used to live there would no longer have any place to go, and people probably wouldn't just leave the country because it's a desert.

    i agree with noah because india already has a lot of land and then there's pakistan who's population is really high and they don't have a lot of land, so it would benefit pakistan more.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with Noah, nobody wins because it just ends in violence, no good will come until sombody gives a little, and the human nature just doesn't ever want to give so were kind of stuck. oh and noah good bit of wisdom there

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gavin's right we should take it away from both of them, but it can't become a desert, its part of the HIMALAYAS we can't just blast nature's work to oblivian anyways that kind of power would harm peaple for thousands of miles around it could even start a nuclear war.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree with camille that peace is the answer, but theyre are too many other disagreements between the countries and that doesn't even count the cultural diffrences...

    anyways Peace is what we need but until they work some major things out peace is not in site.

    ReplyDelete
  37. i also agree with dj camille but its hard to come to complete peice when it comes to cultural and diffrences. there for there is a war to need to find who obtains the city of kashmir legally and politaclly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I disagree with bridget because what are Pakistan and India supposed to do with pandas? Also What if China doesn't want Kashmir?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I disagree with John because even if the people of Kashmir voted and Pakistan "won" India could just start terrorizing just like Pakistan did when Kashmir belongesd to India. Kashmir should just be deserted.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I disagree with maryam. kashmir shouldn't be deserted. if you don't include the wars, it sounds kinda cool. it cant be too bad if two countries are fighting over it. maybe kashmir should just refuse to be part of Pakistan and India. It sould be able to join whatever country it wants or be its own country.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I wonder why India is against the plebiscite. However, I would conduct that plebiscite anyway because I believe its result would allow for the chances of more violence to decrease, as Muslims and Hindus would collaborate with each other.The two religious groups in Pakistan and India could (hopefully) find some peace with each other, therefore.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I disagree with Gavin because "becoming a big family" will not happen easily at all! Border terrorism is a continuous issue, so figuring out a resolution to that will be difficult.

    I agree with Solana and John; the Kashmirians would want to live with the religious group that contains better people. In other words, they'd want to live where they feel more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete