Monday, May 17, 2010

Period D-Great Wall of Mexico

In class, we recently discussed the United States efforts to build a fence along the 2,000 mile border with Mexico. Presently there is 683 miles of fencing in place and plans to continue building the fence. Designed to decrease the amount of people entering the United States illegally, this project is highly controversial. Some believe the fence is needed while others vehemently oppose the building of a fence.

1) Do you agree with the building of a fence along Mexican-U.S. border? Why or Why not?

2)How would you propose to stop people from entering the United States illegally along the Mexican-U.S. border?

25 comments:

  1. i disagree with bulding a fence on the border because we shouldn't do that to other people. people from another country are trying to get into america because they have good intentions
    because they have families that need money for good reasons so they don't starve to death. of corse there are bad people who transport drugs through the borderbut there are people who need the "american dream". so i propose that the government should do drug searches along the border and the people who just want to come for a better life should be let into america.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with building the fence because it would use up a lot of money and it wud cause even more tension between the two countries than there is. I think they should just guard the border more because hiring more guards would definitely cost less than building a fence where people might still climb over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ahmad. These people have good intentions to take care of their family. There reps shouldn't be ruined by some drug dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with ahmad that some of the people definitely have only good intentions of coming to America, but if they have nothing to hide (like drugs)while can't they just come into the United States the legal way? I think there shouldn't be a wall because it would just cause tensions among Mexico and the us, and it would cost a lot of money too. I think that they should just have more guards like Donna said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont agree with the building of the fence because it goes about every thing America has been about and we are tencially all imgrants so we shouldn't go against them. i think we should check evry one who comes into the country

    ReplyDelete
  6. i disagree that building a wall is the answer to the immigration problem. it isn't fair to the mexican immigrants who are coming to america for a job and a better life! the wall would cost a lot of money and there would still be people who would climb over it or dig under it. i agree with chris that the wall goes against everything america is about. i also agree with donna that having more guards at the border would be a way to solve the immigration problem but there would need to be a lot of guards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree with buliding the wall between the U.S and Mexico because if we build the wall be will get a bad reputation because our country is suppose to be free, and if we blck everything off thenwe will seem to be like we don't want anyone in our country onaymore.(no imagrents)Whart i would do to stop people coming in illlegaly from Mexico is to have a much tighter boder cpntrol and they have to be very strict about who comes inn or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also agree with Ahmad, even though not ALL of them have good intention there are other ways to keep things such as drugs out of America. And plus building a wall is WAY too much money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fact that the "Great Wall of Mexico" because it keeps out illegal immigrants from having jobs and health care in the U.S. It would open the door to more opportunities for jobs, and we could pay less tax for health care. To stop people from coming over the border, I would make an electric fence to stop people. Also, I would have security stationed every mile to ensure that no one will cross the border

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree with everyone, it makes sense to build the wall, if the Mexicans want to go to the land of the free, than they should go there the proper way, by becoming a legal U.S. citizen instead of hopping the border

    ReplyDelete
  11. I disagree with the idea. The wall would be very expensive and would have the same amount of security no matter which idea they chose. The wall would also be rude to tha people in Mexico and it would send the wrong message. If it were up to me I would have the least expensive wall built to benifit the USA and I would have security guards stationed every couple of miles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do think they should have the fence. I know that it is kind of unfriendly, but they are the ones causing the problem not us. Before they can even propose the idea of taking it down, there is already a lot of illegal drug smuggling, so that is going to want the U.S. to make the fence even larger. I do think it would be expensive, but in the long run we might make up for all the money that illegal immigrants are using in hospitals and over government places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i agree there should be a wall because, the things the Mexicans do that waste our money like having babies in our hospitals should be wrong. they should just apply and wait for a visa. i agree with graham because they are here illegally and some cause a lot of problems like smuggling in drugs and building underground tunnels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with katie and ahmad, inmigrants should be let in the country because this is a free country and its known to let inmigrants settle here, if the border gets put it the country wouldn't be trustworthy, but like Katie said in order to come in, if they aren't drug smuggling why not just come in legally

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that Harry has a good point that we could make up for the cost of the wall when the immigrants don't use our hospitals and other government places but the cost isn't the only problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I disagree with Graham becuase I dont think that a huge wall would be considered the proper way to come into the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i disagree with building the feance along the mexican u.s. bordr because it costs alot of money and there would be alot more tension between u.s. and mexico because they might feel offended. i think they shuld just put up more guards of surveillance cameras which would cost alot less and might make mexico fell a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i disagree with graham because if they put the wall up if will cost us tons of money and they will always find away to get to america

    ReplyDelete
  19. i agree with grace because if we make this wall other countries might think we might not want them here so they might not come over and we would loose alot of money from tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i disagree with ahmad because people who are tring to get into our country, say from mexico, the women are just trying to get in so when they have a baby then the baby can be an american.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i disagree with graham because when the poeple come into our country they don;t pay the taxes or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think that they should make the wall because they have to come here legally so the wall will keep out ilegal immigrants

    ReplyDelete
  23. when do you think the wall be finished if it is finished?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I disagree with matt about the money to build the wall because then we would not have to pay for ilegal immigrants to be in our country so the costs even out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i disagree with building the fence become a real problem and lower cost and easlily deployabe fecing solutions.

    ReplyDelete