Monday, May 17, 2010

Period A- Great Wall of Mexico

In class, we recently discussed the United States efforts to build a fence along the 2,000 mile border with Mexico. Presently there is 683 miles of fencing in place and plans to continue building the fence. Designed to decrease the amount of people entering the United States illegally, this project is highly controversial. Some believe the fence is needed while others vehemently oppose the building of a fence.

1) Do you agree with the building of a fence along Mexican-U.S. border? Why or Why not?

2)How would you propose to stop people from entering the United States illegally along the Mexican-U.S. border?

12 comments:

  1. I do not agree with the building of the wall. It costs millions of dollars per mile for this oversized fence to keep Mexicans out who could just apply fo a visa and within a few months, have legal permission to be in the U.S.

    To stop Mexicans from entering our country, we should establish safe areas controlled by the U.S. in Mexico. Those people dont deserve a dirty dangerous lifestyle in that crime ridden region. We should at least offer better opportunities in their own country in these safe zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with the building of the wall. It would be way too expensive to construct. I don't think most of the illegal immigrants that come here are simply walking over the border in broad daylight, therefore I don't think building a wall to prevent Mexicans coming on foot is effective. Many Mexicans hide in vehicles or have "coyotes" that they pay take them accross the border in secret. The people would find a way to dig under the wall or otherwise damage it so they could pass it.
    I think that the money that would be spent on this project would go to better use if it were given to enhance border patrol. They could do a more effective job of checking vehicles and develop new security methods, by hiring more patrolers. This would be much more beneficial than building a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with building the wall. I think this because the US can build watch towers along the wall if the mexicans try to dig underneath it. They can also guard the coast if they try to sail into the United States. I think this will keep a lot of the illegal immigrants from coming into the US.

    I would try to stop the people in Mexico from selling drugs and make it a safer place and I would try to create lots of jobs in Mexico to stop people from entering the US illegally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not agree with the construction of the building of the fence along the Mexican-U.S. border. The fence would cost billions of dollars and the economy in America is still bad. It would be a waste of money because people are still finding a way to cross the border. Some can dig under the fence to get through or they pay people to sneak them into the U.S. (Just like Jack said. They are also known as "coyotes").

    I think instead of building a wall that would cost a lot of money, another option for guarding the wall would be installing a lot more satellites and surveillance cameras. This would cost less money than the wall and we could see who is coming into the U.S. illegally to try and stop them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i do not agree with building the "great wall of mexico". mostly because it would cost millions of dollars from tax payers and because it would also be a waste of time for americans.

    i would solve "illegal immigration" by trying to build a bond with mexico and create better guarding systems

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not agree with the construction of the fence either because i find it unneccessary. If the Mexicans found there way into this country before than they can do it again with or without a fence. I feel like this wall is a waste of money.

    To keep Mexican immigrants out there should be a bunch of american army patrolling the borderling. That would be less money and ore efficient

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree of building the wall across the mexican border. I say this because if the mexicans want to come in leagally they can apply for a visa but this wall will keep the illegal immigrants out.

    One way they can stop having illegal immigrants cross the border is by building a wall. It seems like they are already doing this so this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dissagree with the building of the wall because its like aliyah said, even if we build a wall there just going to find other ways in. people are so desperate to get out of mexico they will do anything to get out. you know what should happen is the president of mexico negotiate with obama to have 2 way patrol. the U.S patrol on our side of the border and the mexican milatary patrol there side of the border so the illigals have to get through 2 waves of patrol if they want to get in. if the mexican patrol catches thier citicens trying to get over illigaly then they get thrown in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only do I agree with the idea of making a great wall of Mexico I think they should of went the extra mile and put up an electrical fence. I only say this because in our bad economy we need more jobs to give pay.Plus it'll keep a fine line between legal and illegal imagrants from mexico.
    I would build watchtowers on the "great Wall of Mexico" and spot anyone who is trying to cross the border and wait for them to cross the border and then arrest them.
    -Matt Sweeney

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Believe there should be a fence along the border because I don't want drugs getting in to my country through illegal immigrants.

    I agree with Matt Sweeney They should build watchtowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the idea of building the wall because I don't think it is fair that while other immigrants are fighting for their right in the US and these illegal ones are just coming in. Also, it shows how sincere the US is of having a country in order and how sincere we are of being safe and taking care of our country first.

    To stop any illegal immigrants from sneaking into the US I would do as Matt wrote but I would also re-enforce the "Great Wall of Mexico" and station guards at posts for watch duty and then provide our country with optional jobs.

    ReplyDelete