1) What are the FIVE most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s). You can write about Spain itself, its colonies in the New World, or any particular explorers who sailed for Spain.
2) What questions do you still have about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s)?
3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.
DUE by SUNDAY NIGHT (APRIL 3rd) by MIDNIGHT
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1)I thought it was shocking that people died of scurvy while they were sailing
ReplyDelete2)I thought it was surpring people thought california was an island even when they traveled to it.
3)people had a 50/50 chance of dieing or living and alot of people still sailed
4)i found it surprising that the maps were somewhat accurate even though there was no cameras or satellites
5)i found it surprising that this guy went all around the world getting things and maps that ere very useful, but whe he came back he got put in jail because the queen and king didnt ike his political views....who was that explorer?
1. Cabrillo was a big part of spain.
ReplyDelete2. Magellan became the conquer of spain.
3. I found it interesting that the handmade maps the explorers did were all very different from one another and very unique.
4. I found it shocking that people who didn't get enough vitamin c died from a diease called scurvy.
5. Sir francis drake fell on a rock and broke his arm and died with a disease because he didn't wear a cast.
2questions i have are: what kinds of food do the explorers have with them on the ship? Do the ships the explorers build themselves last thoughout the voyage?
1. I was surprised that although this seems to happen in all european explorations the native don't ever fight back.
ReplyDelete2. No one mentions that Iceland was really in the Americas first, and also, what did they do there?
3. Every one thought that California was an island, even if they "sailed" right to it. That just goes against common sense.
4. Weren't the Myans in America? Did Spain know about them? (yet).
5. Where were the Asian explorers all this time?
Comments:
Jesse: the ships that the explorers used usually lasted forore than 1 voyage, and that was partly why they were so expensive to make.
Siobhan: I thought it was weird to that people died of scurvy. I mean, how could someone die of lack of citrus?
1. I thought it was interesting that many sailors thought that California was an island, not a peninsula.
ReplyDelete2. I am surprised that the overall conversion of the Native Americans to Christianity was a failure.
3. I am surprised that you could die from scurvy if you didn't get enough vitamin c. It was kind of pointless to bring citrus fruit on board the ships because they would rot.
4. It is interesting that the Spanish suddenly claimed upper California even thought it had no great resources to serve as a buffer colony against the English and the Russians.
5. It is interesting that a captain of a ship during the Manila Galleon Trade could make as much as $25,000 profit on a single trip.
6. It is interesting that the Spanish thought that the Strait of Anian (the NW passage) existed despite many failed expeditions.
Why did the Spanish focus on converting Native American children to Christianity?
Why did so many countries believe that California was an island, even though Father Kino proved it to be wrong?
Brian: I think that people thought that California was an island because 1. that's what other countries were saying, 2. Vizcaino first drew a map with California as an island on it and 3. People looked down the peninsula and just saw water, so they just assumed that water went all the way around it and they didn't check it out.
Jess: I think that explorers had food with them that would keep until they reached a port to get more food such as salted meat.
1.) A lot of the sailors died from scurvy because they had a lack of vitamin C.
ReplyDelete2.) It was shocking that the explorer went all around the world and collected all this data and made an accurate map and when he went back to Spain they didn't even publish it they just put him in jail.
3.) It was surprising that in the earlier years the maps were more accurate but when the years passed they became less accurate.
4.)It was shocking that when the sailors went exploring they brought 5 ships and when they came back they only came back with 2 ships.
5.) It was shocking that some of the sailors secretly brought their wives onto the ship because they didn't have enough money for them to stay on land.
Ani- I also thought it was shocking that the conversion of the natives was a failure because other conversions were successful.
Siobhan- I also think it was shocking that sailors still explored even if they had 50% of dying but I think they still went because they needed the money.
How much money did the sailors get when they brought back the spices?
1.) It was amazing how the European explorers drew so accurate maps.
ReplyDelete2.) It was weird that the sailors thought there was those exotic creatures living in the ocean and they thought if you fell in you would burn.
3.) It was shocking that when the Spanish explorers went out to sea with 5 ships and came back with 1 ship and only 18 men because they got into a battle.
4.) it was interesting that sailors would would travel so far in little time with their technology.
5.)when sailors found land how far into the land did they travel?
Ani: Mabye it is because the natives want to learn more about it and what christianity is all about. For example(what do they do to pray?, what is the most important thing about christianity?, who are the religious leaders?, and what books do they use? Mabye thats why.
ReplyDeleteSiobhan: The explorer that was put back to jail by the king and queen was Christopher Columbus.
ReplyDeleteFive Most Interesting Things:
ReplyDelete1. The Spanish had no proof that a NorthWest passage actually existed.
2. Unlike the Portugese in Africa, the Spanish didnt align with any Native tribe.
3. Trying to convert the Natives didnt actually work.
4. The Spanish gave gifts to the Natives so they would feel obligated to give something back.
5. Sailors died of scurvy on voyages.
Siobhan- I also thought that it was shocking that they only had a 50-50 chance of surviving the voyages.
Aidan- I also think it was amazing how they drew such accurate maps without really understanding the land.
In total, how many sailors attempted to find the NW passage?
five most interesting things:
ReplyDelete1) many tribes were killed by spain, after they had peace and were trading
2) Spain had allies who were cannables
3)5% chance that you were going to survive the woyages
4) scurvey was so horrifing
5)Spain was so involved with christianity
what was the country that believed in the NW passage so much?
Aiden: they didn't travel that far into the land at first because they were unfermiliar with the area
ReplyDeleteBrian: your body needs vitamens, you can die with just about a lack of anything that you need
ReplyDelete1.) I found it interesting that some spanish explorers like Sir Francis drake would land on shore to an unexplored land put a marker there and leave that area and return to spain.
ReplyDelete2.) I also found it interesting that no sailor for a long time sailed to the north side of california to discover that it was not an island.
3.) I thought it interesting how acrate european maps were.
4.) I found it interesting that just the lak of vitamin c could kill a man from scurvy.
5.)I found it interesting how sailors drew maps using stars and their astrolabes,and also drew maps of wind patterns for other explorers to use.
Brian B the natives did fight back but there were just not as powerfull as the europeans.
ReplyDeleteMark d there was a 50% chance of living not 5%
ReplyDelete1. I thought it was really cool that even without cameras or sattelites, some explorers drew accurate maps.
ReplyDelete2. I thought it was wierd that they thought California was an island.
3. I found it shocking that lack of citrus could kill a person.
4. I thought it was funny that they thought there was gold in California, but they never found it, but eventually someone found it.
5. They thought there was a NW passage because they wanted it to exist.
Questions:
1. What country eventually found all the gold in California?
2. Why did they think there was so many wierd creatures at sea?
Alex- I also found it interesting that people would just plant a plate in the ground claiming the land, then just leave. It is very wierd.
ReplyDeleteKendall- I also thought it was interesting that trying to convert the Natives didnt work.
ReplyDelete1. I found it intersting that they drew accurate maps with no camers or sattelites.
ReplyDelete2. I found it shocking that a man could die from lack of citrus.
3. I thought it was interesting that the though Californis was an Island.
4. They thought there was a lot of gold in California but they never found it, but some country eventually found it.
5. They thought there was a NW passage because they wanted to belive it.
Questions:
1. What country eventually found the gold in California?
Alex- I also found it interesting that Sir Francis Drake just planted a plate in Califonia claiming it, and then he just left.
ReplyDeleteKendall- I also found it interesting that converting the Natives didnt work.
1) I found the description of scurvy shocking
ReplyDelete2) I thought it was stupid to go on a trip that only 1 in 2 people survived.
3) I found it interesting that people believed California was and island even after King Philip said it wasn't.
4) I found it interesting how accurate the maps compared to what i would have drawn.
5) I found it interesting that somebody could predict the currents of the ocean without ever being there.
Aidan: They only believed that you would burn if you fell into the ocean around the tip of Africa.
ReplyDelete5 Interesting things about spain are:
ReplyDelete1) People from other countries were allowed to sail for Spain
2) Scurvy made your lips turn purple and many other disgusting affects
3)Peoples maps from imagination actually turned out to be somewhat realistic!
4)A lot of people believed that California was an island even though it was founded not to be.
5)People spent years trying to find the NW Passage and could not find it!
No Questions!
Ani G- I think that the Spanish focused on converting native American children to Christianity so when they grow up and have kids and so on there will be a growing population of Christianity and that is what the Spanish wanted.
Jess M- The foods would be anything that didn't spoil or rotten or tarnish easily because they wanted it to last when they went through a place where there were not many ports or the ports were further away.
For example canned goods, rice, and dryed goods
ReplyDelete1. Juan Cabrillo broke his arm but never tried to get it fixed.
ReplyDelete2. All other nations thought California was an Island.
3. Scurvy is a deadly disease people get out in the sea.
4. Sometimes the Natives didn't convert to Christianity.
5. People couldn't find the NW passage for years.
Question: Why did the countries still believe California was an Island even though someone proved it wasn't?
Kendall - Why didn't converting the Natives work?
Marc- What tribes were they again?
1. Scurvy was a deadly disase, a lack of vitiam C.
ReplyDelete2. Native americans would refolt agenst the Spain.
3. The explorer Callbrio broke his Arm and died by an efection.
4.Callbrio found San Diego.
5. Men would bring there wifes on the boat.
G: There is not a pasific amount of money given to then, but they were payed in advance.
Kendall: 118 men
What tribes of native Americans did Spain took over?
i found it interesting that
ReplyDelete1)Portugal and Spain shared the americas as a law from the pope.
2)muslims once had power over spain.
3)Spain is and was a very catholic country.
4)Hernan cortes took over the aztecs with less men, but better weapons and disease.
5)Ferdinand Magellan curcumnavigated the world in 3 years.
Jethro-they did not want to believe it, and they did not want to trust rival countries.
Ani-they converted the children because they believed the children would raise thier kids to become christians, and they could convert their family members.
What happened to the people from Iceland?
Were there no more explorers besides Erikson?
1) I found it shocking that so many sailors died from scurvy.
ReplyDelete2) I found it surprising that sailors back then could make maps so accurate with hardly any technology, and none like the kinds we have now.
3) I found it surprising how sailors saw that one side of California was surrounded by water, so they just assumed without checking that the rest must be too.
4) I thought it was interesting that Montezuma let Cortés in his city because he thought that he was a god.
5) I thought that is was interesting that all the explorers would continue searching for gold and silver, even when they had searched so long and hardly found any.
Did anyone make it across the Americas by navigating through the islands in Canada?
Ani: I think people still believed that California was an island even after it was proved that it wasn't because they wanted to believe it, and also probably because they didn't hear about it for a while. Communication was limited.
Marc: All of the European countries believed in the NW passage, but Italy was the country that believed it the most.