1) What are the FIVE most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s). You can write about Spain itself, its colonies in the New World, or any particular explorers who sailed for Spain.
2) What questions do you still have about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s)?
3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.
DUE by SUNDAY NIGHT (APRIL 3rd) by MIDNIGHT
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The five most interesting things that I learned were:
ReplyDelete1: The Spanish Inquisition was a form of Court (law thing) that investigated religion
2: The Spanish did not focus on converting natives to Christianity until the 1700s, they mainly focused on conquest
3: I was surprised that Montezuma actually let Cortes into his city, making it easy to capture it, along with Montezuma.
4: I was surprised that Spain's empire in the Americas was so large
5: I found it interesting how Spain was taken over by Napoleon, I thought that Spain itself wasn't conquered by any other Europeans!
Questions:
1: Why did the Spanish stay mostly on the West coast of the Americas?
2: Why didn't the Spanish find any gold in California? I thought that the American gold rush was there, and there was a lot of gold in California.
Five things I found interesting...
ReplyDelete1. 1/3 of the goods the Spanish found in the Americas went to Asia.
2. The Spanish Manila Galleon trade went from Acapulco to Manila.
3. It took 8-10 weeks to get from Acapulco to Manila, but 6 months or longer to get back to Mexico from Manila.
4. Spain's Empire collapsed because of Native rebellions and a war against France.
5. Spain was defeated by the United States in the Spanish-American War.
Questions:
1. How did mapmakers make maps back then if they didn't have satellites?
5 things I learned about Spain:
ReplyDelete1. I found it shocking Spain was defeated by the United States in the Spanish-American War (1898).
2. I found it interesting that the American and Haitian revolution influenced indepedence movements in Spain's American colonies.
3. I found it interesting that Spanish Manila Galleon Trade was the system of trade in the the Pacific was between Manila and Spain via Mexico.
4. I found it surprising that the war in Eurpe distracts Spain from its colonies in the New World.
5. I found it interesting that Christianity had a conversion/colonization that often went hand to hand in the late 1700s(California).
Question:
Why was everyone including the US, having a war with Spain?
Albert, the spanish stayed on the west coast of america because they from Mexico
ReplyDeleteShawn-
ReplyDeleteI also thought it was really interesting that Spain focused more on Spain than its colonies during that war in Europe. I think they made the right choice focusing more on their home country, though.
things i found interesting about spain:
ReplyDelete1.i found it interesting that after spain had so much power, their empire still collapsed.
2.i found it interesting that the spanish spread christianity, even to the natives
3.i found it interesting that people found california but they were not interested by it.
4.i found it interesting that the american and hation revolution gave the spanish enough corage to have their own revolution.
5.i found it interesting that the spanish expanded their wealth and power by exploration and trade.
Questions:
how much did it cost for a voyage taken by the spanish and what were som of the challenges they had to face?
comments:
shannon M-
the mapmakers made mapes because people had traveled to those places and have seen what they looked like
shawn d-
alot of people were having a war with spain because the spanish were trying to take over their land. the people were not just going to give up their countryt with out a fight
I was surprised that
ReplyDelete1) That when the Spanish empire collapsed the U.S. got all of its colonies.
2) The Spanish empire collapsed because of the French war and the Native rebellions.
3)That the Spanish didn't focus on converting the natives of their colonies until the 1700 century .
4) The war in Europe distracted the spanish from their colonies.
5)Even though Montezuma thought that Cortez was a god coming back for revenge he let him into his city anyway.
My questions are
1) Why did one third of Spanish goods go to Asia?
Liam
ReplyDeleteSome of the challenges were from scurvy and ship battles.
5 shocking/interesting/surprising things:
ReplyDelete1. I found it very interesting that although it lost most of its military and political power, Spain experienced a Golden Age in art and literature with artists like El Greco and Diego Velazquez.
2. I found it shocking that Pope Alexander VI thought that he could divide all of the lands between Spain and Portugal for the purpose of converting Natives to Catholicism.
3. I found it surprising that the Spanish could not convert the majority of the Natives to Christianity.
4. I found it surprising and interesting that Spain gained power in the Americas by intermarrying with the Natives.
5. I found it interesting that conversion and colonizing would happen at the same time for places like New Mexico and California.
Questions:
1. Did the Spanish get to the Pacific Ocean through the Strait of Anian or the Strait of Magellan?
Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI also found it very interesting that it only took about 8 weeks to get from Acapulco to Manila, but going from Manila to Acapulco took 6 months. I'm guessing that this was because of the direction of the wind currents.
Kendall,
ReplyDelete1 third of the spanish goods went to Asia for the Manila galleon trade
Liam,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the Spanish spread Christianity to the Natives. It seems like many of the voyages and conquests that we have studied have had to do with spreading their religion, mostly Christianity.
Shannon,
ReplyDeletethe mapmakers made maps without satellites by using their memories and using ships to see where the coast was. THey also used stories.
5 things I found interesting:
ReplyDelete1. I found It interesting that people that were born in other countries like Italy sailed for Spain because they were ahead in exploration
2. I found it shocking that 1/3 of the goods from the Americas that Spain went to Asia
3. I found it supprissing that Pope Alexander VI decided to split the whole world into two parts for Spain and Portugal
4. I found it interesting that at first Spain didn't want to colonize California but then they changed their minds because England had just won the seven years war
5. I found it shocking that Spain failed at converting the natives to christianity
Questions:
1. I wonder why spain didn't trybto conquer the east coast the U.S
**didn't try to**
ReplyDeleteShannon, I also found it interesting that it took 8-10 to get there but 6 months to come back
ReplyDeleteGarrett, the Strait of Ania is through Canada and around Alaska, otherwise know as the northwest passage. The Strait of Magellan is around the tip of South America. From the maps we saw they took the Strait of Magellan
ReplyDelete5 things i found interesting:
ReplyDelete1. I found it shocking that King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella married and that they are from two different kingdoms.
2. I found it shocking that explorers/ people on board died from scurvy.
3. I find it interesting how explorers can draw the map from memory and is fairly accurate.
4. I found it interesting converting to Christianity was a big impact on Spain.
5.I found it interesting that people thought California was an island for a long period of time.
Questions:
Was Spain the only ones trying to find the NW passage?
Shannon,
ReplyDeleteThey did it from memory like how we drew our houses from memory.
Kendall,
ReplyDeleteSo that they could get goods such as Silk by tradingg.
The five main things that I found interesting included
ReplyDelete1) How Spain respected the Pope's authority enough so that Brazil (and the rest of Portugal's "property") was relatively untouched by Spain under the Tordesillas law.
2) How almost all of Spain's previously colonized nations gained their independence from Spain.
3) How Cortes was able to take advantage of the Aztecs through their emperor Montezuma's belief that Cortes was a light skinned god.
4) How Spain's mission to spread Catholicism soon became ignored as Spain became a more powerful nation.
5) How the Seven years war effected Spain's choice to expand their empire into Northern California.
Questions:
1. On any of their trade routes, is it possible that Spain came into any contact with Hawaii? As a culture Hawaii does not necessarily relate to Spain, but still could Spain have stumbled upon Hawaii at least once?
2. Why was the Spanish Armada was one of the strongest fleets in the world at the time?
Lisa-
ReplyDeleteNo, Spain wasn't the only country trying to find the northwest passage. Many other countries had heard about the Strait of Anian and were trying to find it.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMost of Europe during that time was hoping to find an easily accessible, faster route to Asia rather than going around the Southern coast of Africa, but really the Strait of Anian was created by the people hoping to find it.
5 things I found interesting:
ReplyDelete1. I found it interesting that the Pope split the land between only Spain and Portugal.
2. I found it interesting how the voyage to Manila from Acapulco took only 8-10 weeks but the voyage back to Acapulco took around 6 months.
3. I found it interesting that Montezuma let Cortes into his empire, making it easier for his and the Aztecs downfall.
4. I found it interesting that Spain lost nearly all of its colonies to independence and lost the rest to the U.S. later.
5. I found it interesting that the Spanish didn't really focus on converting the natives until the 1700s.
Questions:
1. Why did the Pope only split the land between Spain and Portugal? Why not with any other countries?
2. Why did many mapmakers create their maps showing California as an island?
Shannon-
ReplyDeleteI think mapmakers made their maps just based on what they saw. They explored some land and drew the approximate shape and size of the land. This might also be the reason that some maps were so inaccurate.
Liz-
ReplyDeleteI also found it surprising that the Pope divided the New World into two parts just for Spain and Portugal.
Julianna-
ReplyDeleteThe Pope split the land between Spain and Portugal so that they could spread Christianity.
1. i was very interested in learning about "scurvy" and how it had such an impack on the many explorers on the ship
ReplyDelete2. it was very shoking to know that the explorers could draw the map from memory and have it drawn almost perfect, but in class when i tried drawing my house from memory it was vary off.
3. how spain had lost so much of what they had once owned, to the USA.
4. its kinda shocking/scary to know that people went around thinking that California was a island for so long.
5. and how spains kingdom fell after defeted by France
My Question(s):
1. why were the other countries left out when the new world was divided between ONLY spain and portugal????
Five things that I found interesting about spain were:
ReplyDelete1. I am suprised that Spain was once controlled by the Islmaic Empire
2.I found it interesting that the Muslims, Christians, and Jews all lived together at once
3.I found it interesting that in Spain when there was the Black Plague people blamed the Jews
4.I am suprised that Spain was very diverse back then
5. I found it interesting and shocking that scurvy could be so deadly
One question I have is:
Did people in Spain ever try to go against the Pope?
Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that Spain was defeated by the United States. I thought that Spain was looked at as a powerful country.
Liz,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the pope split the new world between only Spain and Portugal.I wonder why didnt he give some land to the other countries in Europe?
5 interesting things about Spain's History:
ReplyDelete1. that Montezuma let Cortes into his kingdom, allowing him to seize the empire very easily.
2. that the great armada of spain was defeated by the smaller empire of spain.
3. that most european countries made maps about how california was an island
4. once portugal fell, the Spanish took their empire and all their colonies around the World.
5. before Spain's era when discovery and colonazation was popular, spain was once 90% muslim control.
Questions
1. how many spainish explorers failed trying to find the NW passage?
2. why did some maps and sailors describe and believe in sea monsters?
Garret,
ReplyDeletethe Spanish explorers got to the pacific using the Strait on Magellan (near cape horn)
on my interesting fact #2 i had a typo and meant to say " the smaller empire of England"
ReplyDeleteJavana,
ReplyDeletepeople from Spain were Catholic. so probably not 'go against the pope' because they were of the same religion and the Pope was on their side.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteto answer your question, No, spain wasn't the only country in search of NW passage. The English, Dutch, Portuguese were also in search for the passage.
The five most interesting things I learned about Spain are:
ReplyDelete1. Spanish missionaries focused on converting Native children to Christianity because they thought they thought they would be better and more open minded.
2. The Spanish founded cities in california like and in mexico Sante Fe.
3. The Spanish gained power in the Americas because they had superior weapons, spread diseases that killed Natives, formed alliances and intermarried with Native Americans.
4. A lot of explorers and countries thought that california was an island for a pretty long time.
5. Spain became one of the most powerful nations in Europe in the late 1500s by seizing Portugal and also by having a large, powerful army.
questions: I don't have any.
james,
ReplyDeletei also thought that it was really interesting that spain was once %90 muslim control i found that to be quite a large amount of spain.
lisa, I thought that it was alos very interesting that they thought california was an island. I thought it was pretty clear that it was not an island.
ReplyDeleteThe five most interesting things that I learned were:
ReplyDelete1. I found it surprising that America took so much land away from Spain.
2. It was interesting that the Spanish stopped caring about their colonies in the new world because of the war.
3. It is surprising that at first map makers thought California was a peninsula and then it changed to an island.
4. I found it surprising that American and Haiti gave the Spanish confidence to make another revolution.
5. I found it shocking that the Spanish fail at converting the natives into Christianity.
One question i have is:
Why did people believe in the NW passage?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJulianna C,
ReplyDeleteBecause Spain and Portugal were the most powerful at that time.
Javana S,
ReplyDeleteYes, scurvy killed plenty of people because lack of vitamin .
things i found interesting
ReplyDelete-i found it interesting that spain used military forces to gain power in the americas
-i found it shocking that the spanish faioled at converting the natives to christianity
-i found it interesting that one third of the silver and goods that the spanish found in the americas was sent to asia
-it surprised me that spanish explorers were moviated by dreams of wealth and discovery
-it surprised me how many explorers wanted to find the NW passage
question
-who found the NW passage?
james c.,
ReplyDeletemany maps and sailors described and believed in sea monsters beauces many saliors maps were based on imanigation or memory also because not many focused on what was in the water.
shani,
ReplyDeleteother countries were left out when the pope divided the new world between spain and portugal because, spain and portugal were the most powerful at the time and so the pope thought they were going to be the best at converting the natives to christianity(beacuse they were the most powerful)
The five things I found interesting about Spain:
ReplyDelete1) how accurate the maps were 500 years ago
2) how difficult it was to convert the native American's to Christianity
3) how so many explorers thought Calafornia was an island
4) how difficult it was to find the NW passage
5) how deadly scurvey was
My Questions:
1) why did it take so long to find the NW passage
2) when did the Spanish start finding gold
Answers:
Shannon I think they used the stars to make maps
James: I think peolpe believed in seamonsters because they saw large sharks and whales and didn't know what they were.
The five most interesting things I learned about Spain and its exploration are:
ReplyDelete1) That Spain thought they were converting Natives when most of them didn't know what was going on.
2) How all over the world California was depicted as an Island on maps.
3) That the other countries weren't mad when the pope mad Spain and Portugual the sort of leaders, of colonies.
4) That all of the explorers where so focused on the northwest passage when it really isn't fastest.
5) It was surprising how Spain was controlled by Islamic rulers but then banished their religion completely.
Juliana
The mapmakers always showed California as a Island because they didn't really have the knowledge to know other wise. So they didn't know it was actually a peninsula.
Shannon
It took so long to find the NW passage mainly because everyone was looking in the wrong place. Eventually it was found but people were mainly guessing were it was.
The five most interesting things I learned about Spain was:
ReplyDelete1)Maps were fairly accurate all those years ago.
2)Spain was one of the most important countries during the exploration era.
3)Explorers died from Scurvy
4)I was surprised that many countries wanted to find the NW passage
5)Many people thought that California was an Island
Question: Why was the NW passage so important?
Yusuf,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if they came upon Hawaii at any point, but i'm sure it's always possible that they might have.
Liam,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that The American and Haitian Revolution gave Spain courage to have their own Revolution. You would think they would already be confident enough...
Five things I found interesting:
ReplyDelete-The Spanish did not focus on converting natives to Christianity until the 1700s, they mainly focused on conquest
- I found it surprising that most maps where accurate at this time, even though none of the caligraphers had seen ALL of the world.
- I found it shocking that explorers had found unclaimed land lik California, but didn't have any intrest in putting it under their control.
- I found it odd that in some maps the map makers depicted California as an island, just because of a rumor.
-I found it interesting that scurvy was the reason most sailors died. I would think that it would be something more threaghtning than a diet reason.
Question:
- How long did the voyage from Europe to the Americas take?
Ben:
The northwest passage was the fastest way, compared to going around Africa.
Liam:
I also found it interesting that europeans expanded their wealth by exploration and trade.
the 5 things i found most interesting about Spain was:
ReplyDelete1. So many sailors died looking for a NW passage
2.The Inca's empire fell quickly because of the Spanish. (Incas feared they might be a light skinned god coming to reclaim land)
3.That scurvy (lack of vitamin C) can effect you blood and gums.
4.That the pope gave Portugal and Spain rights to sail and explore.
5. Also that based on the time period...(no GPS or sarellite or any pictures of the land masses) how accurate they were, but still thought that there were sea monsters and that California was a island/penisula
question: What religion was first in Spain?
Gillian, the NW passage was so important because Europe needed to connect with India for trading spices and goods but needed a quicker route to get there.
ReplyDeleteDaysia,
ReplyDeletei also found it interesting that the Spanish failed to convert the natives to Christianity even though they were really powerful at the time.