Thursday, March 31, 2011

Period A- Spain

1) What are the FIVE most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s). You can write about Spain itself, its colonies in the New World, or any particular explorers who sailed for Spain.

2) What questions do you still have about Spain during period of exploration and conquest (1500 - 1800s)?

3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.

DUE by SUNDAY NIGHT (APRIL 3rd) by MIDNIGHT

30 comments:

  1. 1. Spain conquered all most all of South America, Mexico, and the pacific coast of the U.S.
    2. They conquered the Aztec empire
    3. Some of the Explorers went around the world
    4. They owned a lot of land for the small size of the country
    5. They went thourgh a lot of economy chrashes
    Question: How did Spain survie when the value of gold and silver went down

    ReplyDelete
  2. The five most interesting thing I have learned about spain is that:
    1. I found it surprising that the people who drew the maps thought that California was a island.
    2. I was shocked that the maps were so accurate even though they did not have pictures.
    3. I found it surprising that Spain was defeated by the United States in the Spanish-American War.
    4.I was shocked the Spain went from South America to present day Kansas.
    5. I found it interesting that it took 8-10 weeks to get to Acapulco to Manila but it took 6 months or more to get back.

    Question:
    1. How did the people who make the maps make them so accurate without photos or satellites?
    2. Why did people think California was a island even though people said it was not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.I found surprising is that they thought California a island.
    2.I found it shocking is the 50% of the crew on the ships would die.
    3.I found it shocking that Spain had not cared about California for alittle bit till England got interested in it.
    4.I ofund it shocking that they would throw the bodies off the boat after they die.
    5.I found it shocking when sailors had to cut thing off with a knife when the had surcvey.
    Questions
    1.Why did they throw the bodies off they boat?
    2.How did they think Califonia was island?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle,
    People thought Califonia was an island because that is what it showed on the maps even though some people said it was not an island they did not believe them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most Interesting:
    1) I found it interesting that it took 8-10 weeks to get from Mexico to the Philippines, but took at least 6 months to get back because of the winds so they had to sail up to Japan then come down to Mexico.
    2) I found it surprising that 50% of the crew would die before returning to Spain.
    3) I found it interesting that many of the people in South America are currently Catholic because when the Natives revolted and kicked the Spanish out many people stayed and continued to live there so it spread.
    4) I found it surprising that many Spanish and other European map makers thought that California was an island and even when people told them it wasn't, they continued to draw it as one.
    5) I found it interesting that Spain lost all of its colonies in the new world because they were in a war with the rest of Europe.

    Questions:
    1) How did Catholic missionaries enforce the Natives to become Catholic if the Natives revolted and the missionaries had to leave?
    2) Why did the Spanish suddenly have an interest in California after the English started exploring it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle,
    They threw the dead bodies overboard because most of the sailors loved the ocean and wanted to be buried in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zach,
    I too was surprised that Spain had so many colonies and was such a strong exploring country since it was so small in size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madison,
    I found it intersting to that people who drew maps drew California as an island

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madelyn,
    I found it intersting to that it took 8 to 10 weeks for them to get to MExico to the Phillipines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The five most Interesting things I learned:
    1. How the maps were really off, but got better over time.
    2. The infant morality rate was 50%
    3. Juan Cabrillo died but his crew still went on.
    4. California was thought to be an Island.
    5. The explorers tried to convert children.
    My question is:
    Why did Spain think California if they found cities to the west of Californa, like San Antonia, Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Danielle,
    I think they through the bodies off the boat because most sailors wanted to be buried at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zach,
    I also thought it was interesting that some of the explorers traveled around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Madelyn,
    I also wondered why Spain had a sudden intrest in California.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The 5 most interesting things I learned about Spain:
    1. They colonized most of California.
    2. People thought that California was an island.
    3. An explorer made a lot of trips and when he got back to Spain they put him in jail because of his political views.
    4. A baby had a 50% chance of survival.
    5. Scury was a big problem for sailors.

    Questions:
    Why did babies only have a 50% chance of living?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colman,
    I also think it's interesting on how everyone though California was an island.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Madelyn,
    I think that some of them converted and then revolted or some just didn't want them to change their customs so they revolted against the Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Spain conquered all most all of South America, Mexico, and the pacific coast of the U.S.
    2. An explorer made a lot of trips and when he got back to Spain they put him in jail because of his political views.
    3. A baby had a 50% chance of survival.
    4. They colonized most of California.
    5. People thought that California was an island.
    my question:
    If people hadnt coverd all the areas they depict, how could they draw the maps?

    ReplyDelete
  19. dear Madison,
    i also had a simular question to your question about the maps, i think that they used what they had coverd and what others had coverd to make infrences about what the land looked like. i also wonderd how they could be so accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dear colman,
    i think that they thought that texas was part of california because they didnt understand of know how large america is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. dear sarah,
    i think that babys had only 50% chance of living because of the poor living conditions and malnutrision.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sarah,
    I think that babies usually died because of the poor living conditions and basiclly what Meggie said

    ReplyDelete
  23. Colman,
    I also thought it was interesting how everyone except a few people thought that California was and island

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1.I found it interesting and surprising that Spain was the first country consisting of Christianity.
    2.I'm shocked Spain tried to enslave the Aztecs but end up killing them.
    3.I'm shocked King Ferdinand violated the 1492 Alhambra Decree peace treaty in 1502,ending tolerance towards Muslims.
    4.I'm also shocked that King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella as well as Pope Alexander VI persecuted Jews and Muslims when they did their cultural tradition.
    5.I'm shocked Spain enslaved people even though they should know it's wrong in the Bible and Christianity.
    Did Jews and Muslims get along with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella?
    I wonder if Pope Alexander VI allowed and approved of slavery?
    Official name: The Kingdom of Spain
    Capital of Spain: Madrid
    Top 3 Largest cities in Spain: Madrid 5.9 million inhabitants, Barcelona 5.3 million inhabitants, Valencia 1.6 million inhabitants.
    Population size: 44,7 million in 2006.
    Density: 88,39 inhabitants per square kilometer.
    Size: 506,000M square meters (Spain is the second largest country in Europe after France).
    Mean Altitude: 600 m. (which makes Spain the second highest country in Europe after Switzerland).
    Highest Point: Pico de Teide in Tenerife 3,719 m.
    Tourism: Over 52 million tourists visit Spain each year, Spain is in the top 3 most visited countries in the world.
    Foreigners Living in Spain: officially there were 3.7 million foreign residents in 2005. Independent organisations such as Red Cross put the number at 4.8 million.
    Political Structure: Parliamentary monarchy (since 1978).
    Regions: Spain is made up of 17 autonomous regions.
    Time zone: +1 GMT except Canary Islands +2 GMT.
    Currency: The introduction of the Euro in 2002 replaced the former Spanish Peseta.
    Economy size: eighth largest economy worldwide with a Gross Domestic Product just over 1 trillion euros.
    Labor force: approximately 20 million.
    Gross Domestic Product per Capita: €27,767 per year, 25th on world ranking
    Religion: approximately 90% of the population are Catholic and there is freedom of religion in Spain.
    Measures: Weight measured in kilograms, distances measured by the metric system, temperature measured in degrees Celsius.
    Spanish Gastronomy: typical for Spain is its Paella read more about Spains Gastronomy in our Spanish Food section.
    History: to read extensively about the history of Spain please see the section history of Spain
    Electricity: 220volts.
    Emergency numbers: They are all toll-free. General emergency services 112. Ambulance 061. Fire service 080. National police 091 (this number is used when there is serious trouble). Municipal police 092. Civil guard 062.
    Telephone country code: (00)34
    Opening hours: in most of Spain the siesta is honoured, but the hours differ between regions. Stores open around 9am and close around one for the siesta, stores then open again around 5pm. More to the south the the stores open later and therefore the siesta starts around half past 2pm.
    Opening hours banks: In general banks are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 2pm and on Saturday until 1pm.
    Public transportation: Taking the bus is by far the cheapest way of transportation. You can get a city bus ride for only €0,95 and if you buy a card where you can buy prepaid rides for they are only €0,59. Taking the bus from city to city is far cheaper than travelling by train, e.g., the busride of 6 hours from Malaga to Madrid is approximately 20 euros while a train can cost up to an astonishing 150 euros. Taxi's are reasonably priced; a 5 minute city ride costs around 3 euro.
    Tipping: Spanish people aren't used to big tips, you can just leave a few coins and they are already more than happy with you.
    Language: Spanish (Catalan, Valencian, Gallego, Euskera are independent languages spoken in Catalonia, Valencia, Galicia and The Basque Country).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danielle D
    I think they threw the bodies off the boat because it would rot and smell horrible as well as rot the whole ship.
    I also suggest that people thought California was a island or peninsula because of it's portrayal by authors or poets and it's closer to the ocean.It's described on the map which probably persuade people into believing it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Madelyn
    I think the Spanish were interested in California because they wanted to have a colony there and boost trade,wealth,and influence.It also was a large land for the Spanish.
    I also think Catholic Missionaries gave gifts to the Natives and candy to little kids like American soldiers give to Iraqi kids in hope they won't be against them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1.I found it interesting and surprising that Spain was the first country consisting of Christians and Christianity.
    2.I was shocked that Spain tried to enslave the Aztecs but end up killing them.
    3.I was shocked that King Ferdinand violated the 1492 Alhambra Decree peace treaty in 1502,ending tolerance and religious freedom towards the Muslims.
    4.I was shocked King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella as well as Pope Alexander VI would torture Jews and Muslims when secretly Jews and Muslims did their old cultural traditions.
    5.I found it interesting/surprising/shocking that Spain would enslave people even if they should know it's wrong in Christianity and the Christian Bible.
    Did the Jews and Muslims get along with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella as well as Pope Alexander VI?
    Did Pope Alexander VI give allowed/approval of slavery?
    Official name: The Kingdom of Spain
    Capital of Spain: Madrid
    Top 3 Largest cities in Spain: Madrid 5.9 million inhabitants, Barcelona 5.3 million inhabitants, Valencia 1.6 million inhabitants.
    Population size: 44,7 million in 2006.
    Density: 88,39 inhabitants per square kilometer.
    Size: 506,000M square meters (Spain is the second largest country in Europe after France).
    Mean Altitude: 600 m. (which makes Spain the second highest country in Europe after Switzerland).
    Highest Point: Pico de Teide in Tenerife 3,719 m.
    Tourism: Over 52 million tourists visit Spain each year, Spain is in the top 3 most visited countries in the world.
    Foreigners Living in Spain: officially there were 3.7 million foreign residents in 2005. Independent organisations such as Red Cross put the number at 4.8 million.
    Political Structure: Parliamentary monarchy (since 1978).
    Regions: Spain is made up of 17 autonomous regions.
    Time zone: +1 GMT except Canary Islands +2 GMT.
    Currency: The introduction of the Euro in 2002 replaced the former Spanish Peseta.
    Economy size: eighth largest economy worldwide with a Gross Domestic Product just over 1 trillion euros.
    Labor force: approximately 20 million.
    Gross Domestic Product per Capita: €27,767 per year, 25th on world ranking
    Religion: approximately 90% of the population are Catholic and there is freedom of religion in Spain.
    Measures: Weight measured in kilograms, distances measured by the metric system, temperature measured in degrees Celsius.
    Spanish Gastronomy: typical for Spain is its Paella read more about Spains Gastronomy in our Spanish Food section.
    History: to read extensively about the history of Spain please see the section history of Spain
    Electricity: 220volts.
    Emergency numbers: They are all toll-free. General emergency services 112. Ambulance 061. Fire service 080. National police 091 (this number is used when there is serious trouble). Municipal police 092. Civil guard 062.
    Telephone country code: (00)34
    Opening hours: in most of Spain the siesta is honoured, but the hours differ between regions. Stores open around 9am and close around one for the siesta, stores then open again around 5pm. More to the south the the stores open later and therefore the siesta starts around half past 2pm.
    Opening hours banks: In general banks are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 2pm and on Saturday until 1pm.
    Public transportation: Taking the bus is by far the cheapest way of transportation. You can get a city bus ride for only €0,95 and if you buy a card where you can buy prepaid rides for they are only €0,59. Taking the bus from city to city is far cheaper than travelling by train, e.g., the busride of 6 hours from Malaga to Madrid is approximately 20 euros while a train can cost up to an astonishing 150 euros. Taxi's are reasonably priced; a 5 minute city ride costs around 3 euro.
    Tipping: Spanish people aren't used to big tips, you can just leave a few coins and they are already more than happy with you.
    Language: Spanish (Catalan, Valencian, Gallego, Euskera are independent languages spoken in Catalonia, Valencia, Galicia and The Basque Country).

    ReplyDelete
  28. 5 Fatcs:

    1. I was shocked that they were powerful enough to conquer the Aztec Empire.
    2. I was shocked how much they owned and how powerful they were, compared to present day.
    3. I thought it interesting they thought California was an island.
    4.I find it interesting that lack of vitamin C could be such a problem, especially to sailors. It affected them greatly and took many lives.
    5. I thought it was interesting that they tried to spread Chrisitanity to Native Americans.

    Question: Why did they spend wo much time and effort looking for the Northwest Passage when they could have put all that energy and money into something else?

    4.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sarah,
    I was also shocked that infants only had a 50% mortality rate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Meggie,
    I was also shocked that a certain Spanish explorer was thrown into jail after making that long voyage for Spain.

    ReplyDelete