http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/09/in.pak/map.lg.jpg
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/kashmir/front.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/355280.stm
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php? storyId=97629323
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php? storyId=97776680
Use CW#48-Jodhaa Akbar, Notes#44-India & Pakistan and the links above to get a deeper understanding of the sources of conflict between India and Pakistan. After doing some background research, complete ALL THREE parts of the Blog.
Part 1-In your opinion, what are the three most significant sources of conflict between India & Pakistan? Why do you think these three are most significant?
Part 2-. Imagine you a world leader who has remained neutral (you do not favor India's position or Pakistan's). How would you attempt to solve the conflicts that exist between India and Pakistan.
Remember you should propose a solution that you think both India and Pakistan would agree to.
Part 3-Respond to at least TWO of your classmates'. Explain why you agree or disagree with them.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the three things that cause tension between India and Pakistan are:
ReplyDelete-The religious gap, because both types of adherents each want parts of each country, and they also want ALL of their own country too, which is of course immposible with the division and discrimination.
-The addition of nuclear weapons. The possibility of that big of a boom on either side is definitely cause for caution.
-Undesirable alliances by other, more powerful countries to one side, and then the other to another power. (i.e, U.S. and Pakistan, U.S.S.R and India) Each side doesn't like to be left behing in any form of power, including the benefit of having "friends in high places".
I would have each country dicide on a day each year when Muslims and Hindus alike could pass safely into their corresponding countries, deterring violence possibly with help from UNICEF and NATO.Of course, this would only help somewhat, but it would be a start.
Part #1
ReplyDelete1) The nuclear weapons- The nuclear weapons can be very dangerous and could cause a whole side to wipe out
2)The division of India into two separate countries leads to most of the conflicts because they will probably fight over which land is theirs and then they will probably fight about the borders.
3)That they both think that they helped with the terrorists, that could also cause a lot of violence because if they both believe that each other helped with the terrorists then they will start to fight each other and there would be even more conflicts to deal with.
Part #2
To help reduce the violence I could have a day where both of the leaders meet so they can figure out a way to maybe mix both of the countries or maybe find a way to mix both of the religions.
Part #3
Brian- I agree with you that the religions gap is almost impossible to deal with because of the rule that India split into two different countries and it is also causing a lot of violence.
Part 1
ReplyDelete-the division of india, which caused much arguments and rebellions, because each country wants more land for itself and its religion,
-the alliance with pakistan and the united states, because were the most powerful nation, and having us on either side will cause the other country to hate us.
-the mistreatment of muslims in india, because pakistan is a mostly muslim country and if india was to offend pakistan by mistreating their religion, which will cause more riots and attacks.
-the attack of mumbai, which has made india hate all of pakistan, even if there are only a few terrorists who did that.
part 2
-i would put a country, made of muslims and hindus, in between pakistan and india, so there will be no discrimination, because the country is both hindu and muslim. any type of attacks, will have to go through the middle country, and could be easily stopped.
brian-i think your right about how unicef and nato should help more, and with that they could be more in this, because they are supposed to focus on world peace.
grace-i think that they should not mix the religions, because one person from one religion could attack someone from a different religion, for having different views.
Andrea- I think that is a good idea but even though there might not be fights the two countries there would still be fights in the middle country.
ReplyDeletethree most significant sources of conflict between India & Pakistan
ReplyDelete1.) Nuclear weapons- They can get very dangerous.
2.) The separation between India and Pakistan- Both countries what more land.
3.) Making alliances with stronger nations- i.e The us
I would make friendship week for India and Pakistan because they have a lot in common for example they are both Muslim.
I agree with you Andrea that they should not mix religions together just in case a religion tried to kill/attach someone.
Andrea, I agree with Grace. A middle country would likely be a violent place, and some of the ultra-nationalists would probably just try to take over that middle country for themselves. That would not end well.
ReplyDeleteClaudy, a friendship week for the two countries would be good, but I don't think most people who would participate would be the ones who are actually causing the violence. Just like the rest of the Mid-East, there are lots of bi-standers, but only a few radical extremists (those are the ones we see on TV), and the Friendship week would only work if the Extremists themselves went, not the people who haven't done a thing. (plus some of the extremists may just see it as an opportunity to kill off some of there enemies easily).
ReplyDeleteThe main sources of conflict:
ReplyDelete1)Land and border disputes over the province of Kashmir. I think that this is one of the main sources because if both countries want the land, then they would fight over it.
2)India's treatment of its Muslim population. I think this is one of the main sources because since Pakistan is mostly Muslim, they have a right to be angry that India is treating people of their religion badly.
3)The alleged involvement of Pakistan's secret service in the 2008 Muslim terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I think this is one of the main sources because if Pakistan's government is messing with India, India has a right to be mad.
One solution is to have the leaders of the two countries meet, and agree to let some leaders of the other country into the government.
Part
ReplyDelete1) I think that because of India having relations with other countries, that is a major reason Pakistan and India have no good relations.
2)India helping Bangladesh is another major reason because you don't just help some country gain freedom from a neighboring country.
3)The division into two countries is also big in this because Hindu's and Muslims are practically not supposed to like each other because of different countries.
Part 2
What I would do is I would make them have a big ceremony every 2 weeks in between both countries. People would be assigned a person to go meet and greet and would introduce themselves. Doing this every 2 weeks would be more affective then once a year.
Part 3
Victoria H
I think # 3 is right but I think that India has done some pretty bad things to Pakistan like help Bangladesh gain freedom, have relations with countries Pakistan does not like and that sort of thing.
Grace L
I think that is a great idea. Having the rulers meet once a month is great and they could definitely work something out if they have people behind them.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePart 1
ReplyDelete1) the biggest cause of the violence I think is the separation between India and Pakistan. The only thing this separation does is cause disputes over the border.
2) Another cause to the violence is the two countries being uneasy with each other because of the countries being allies with bigger more powerful countries.
3)another scary cause of the violence is that both countries have nuclear weapons. this causes conflict between the two countries because knowing that your enemy has big weapons that could blow your country up at any time, will make the countries uneasy with each other.
Part 2
If I was a neutral world leader I would suggest to the leaders of India and Pakistan to combine countries again and have equal mosques and temples. In the government of that country there will be equal amount of Muslim and Hindus.
Part 3
Claude I disagree cloudy, the countries are not both Muslim. And a friendship week might not end up that friendly
Andrea j- I disagree with you, I think a country in between India and Pakistan will be war-torn
There seems to be some issues with Blogger. If having trouble posting to the blog, please type your post and TWO responses into a Word document, print it out and bring it to class tomorrow. You may also email this information to me.
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Mr. Turrisi
Part 1
ReplyDelete1)I think that one of the main sources of tension between India and Pakistan is that Pakistan's ISI may have helped terrorists attack Indian cities.
2)Another source of tension is the fact that some towns may still be Hindu but was on the wrong side of the line between Pakistan and India causing Muslims to attack them.
3)One more source of tension is that India was supported by the USSR and were given many weapons to help their army and Pakistan still didn't like that and still doesn't which causes tension.
Part 2
I would transplant the Hindu and Muslim villages to either India or Pakistan depending on whether they are Hindu or Muslim. After that I would move all border villages back from the border to discourage attacks and making them more difficult to commence.
Part 3
ReplyDeleteGrace,
I agree with you. I think that the nuclear weapons would be a very big source of conflict, you wouldn't want your enemy to have them. But I also think that having nuclear weapons would also be a deterrent. You wouldn't want to get into a major war with a country with nuclear weapons. This is why there have been no major wars.
Victoria,
I agree with you that one of the reasons they are fighting is the treatment of the Muslims in India. But I also think that the Indian government is angry with Pakistan for the treatment of Hindus in Pakistan.
Part 1
ReplyDelete1. I think it's the nuclear weapons. The nuclear weapons are to dangerous.
2. The fact that the ISI is believed to help hide Osama Bin Laden is a bad thing because the USA is helping Pakistan.
3. I don't think it was right for them to do the bombings in Mumbai.
Part 2.
If I was a world leader I would have the leaders of India and Pakistan to meet and sign a treaty to stop being so dangerous to each other.
Response -
Victoria you are right they should meet up and discuss what they are doing.
Grace - The nuclear weapons are a big conflict.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePart1
ReplyDelete1. Pakistan was against communist.
2. The alleged involvement of Pakistan's secret service, the ISI, in the 2008 Muslim terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India's largest city.
3. Land and border disputes over the province of Kashmir, especially by religion extremist.
Reason:
The Soviets are communists so Pakistan would be against any who would support or be in alliance with the Soviets.
India accused Pakistan so that would cause them to have a conflict.
The border dispute was similar to the dispute over Texas between America and Mexico. Almost causing a war.
Part 2:
If I was a world leader I would have the leaders of India and Pakistan to meet and sign a treaty saying that they must stop the conflict or the world leader will drop a hydrogen bomb and permanently end their lives as they knew it.
Part3:christian,
ReplyDeleteI agree with moving the border villages back because it would reduce the chances of attacks between Pakistan and India.
mike, I agree that that's a good idea because combining them would make them equal.
PART 1:
ReplyDelete*One thing that causes conflict in my opininion about the two countries is the Alliances each other has made. Pakistand has the U.S, the big brother that can easily take down India, and India has the formal rivals of the U.S, the powerful Soviet union
*The second source of conflict between these two countries is the religons of the two countries. Pakistand is mostly Islam, and India is mostly Hinduism. Islam and Hinduism HATE eachother and that is the main source of conflict between the two
*The last source of conflict between the two countries is the wepons each country has been gathering. Both Pakistand and India have been gathering wepons as kind of a threat to one another saying we can easily take you out with our nukes if you bother us any more.
PART 2 :
If I was a world leader, I would mix the two countries with each religion.Since in my opinion that is the main source of conflict, doing that and taking away some of there more powerful nuklier wepons should do the trick since now now one country is mostly one reliigion
I agree with what G said but I think we sould take it a step further and put countries in between the two to reduce the fighting even further
ReplyDeleteChristian,
ReplyDeleteI think we should even make a document with the other countries of the world saying that we are not allowed to use nukes anymore, these wepons are just to powerful now
Part 1:
ReplyDelete1. One of them is nuclear weapons because they kill over thousands of people.
2. The division of India because it created many conflicts between religions.
3. That they both think that the other helped terrorists because this can cause major conflicts and maybe wars.
Part 2:
I would make the Indians and Pakistanians live together amongst each other to make them get along, and if they didnt, there would be consquences.
Jethro, I agree with you that nuclear weapons are very dangerous, and a great conflict.
ReplyDeleteAndrea, I agree with you but what if the people who were attacking the other people just attacked the people in the midddle country?
ReplyDeletePart 1:
ReplyDelete1. One of them is nuclear weapons because they kill over thousands of people.
The second source of conflict between these two countries is the religons of the two countries. because they are right next to each other.
3. Land and border disputes over the province of Kashmir, especially by religion extremist.
Part two. i would try to make peace between us two and work together because they live right next to each other and it would make life easier if they were friends.