Monday, September 26, 2011

Period C- Hinduism

DUE WEDNESDAY, SEPT 28 by MIDNIGHT

Part 1- What are the FIVE most interesting,fascinating, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Hinduism.

Part 2- What questions do you still have about Hinduism?

Part 3- Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts in the following ways

-comment on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking
or
-answer the questions they posted.
or
-ask a follow-up question to a classmates' post

Please note
*Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer

18 comments:

  1. 1. What I found interesting in Hinduism was that how they had a caste system.
    2. The fascinating fact I found out is that in Hinduism they worship one God that's in many different forms.
    3. What's surprising is that there are many restrictions and rules in the caste system. For example, a Brahman wouldn't or couldn't marry a Shudra.
    4. I was very shocked when I read about how the untouchables weren't allowed to live in cities and villages.
    5. I was surprised when in Holi, people could do anything and get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The five most intersting things I learned about Hinduism are:
    1. I thought it was fascinating that because of the caste system in India people are seperated into 4 groups and because of this people are still discriminated against.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PART 1
    1)I thought that it was interesting how the society in India is separated into different groups, called castes, which create different dharmas for each caste.

    2)I thought that it was interesting how the Hindu God is one, but can take many forms.

    3)I thought that it was fascinating how people receive a consequence/punishment if they have an inter-caste marriage.

    4)I thought that it was fascinating how the Hindus believe in reincarnation and how the life you led before you died, determined what caste you were in in your next life.

    5)I thought that it was shocking how some people were killed because they were in love with someone from a diferent caste.

    PART 2
    I still have questions about Hinduism, a few being:
    -how often is somebody punished by death in the present day?
    -when did the punishments become less cruel?
    -when did the consequences become more lenient?

    PART 3
    1)John, I agree with your interesting fact, and i also think that people should be free to have a relationship with whomever they wish, no matter what caste they are in.
    2)Hassan,i agree with your shocking fact and i also wonder if the untouchables still exist today and if they are still mistreatred like they used to be in ancient times?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 1
    1: I though that it was interesting that some India people took the caste system much more intense then others.
    2: I though that is was surprising that some families hung their children because they were in love with someone from a different caste. Like in the story we read in class.
    3: I though that it was surprising that some men leave their homes to go meditate.
    4: I though that it was fascinating how the Hindus had such strong beliefs in reincarnation.
    5:I though that is was interesting how in the story "they died for love" the neighbors agreed to killing the young girl and boy.
    Part 2
    Some questions I have about Hinduism are:
    1: Do some people still take the caste system to extremes and kill their family?
    2: Why does the caste system matter?
    Part 3
    1: Maryanne I agree with you how it is fascinating that the Hindus believe in one god but the god can take many forms.
    2: Hassan I agree with you and how you talked about the untouchables. I find that very surprising also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Continued from last post)
    The five most interesting things I learned about Hinduism are:
    2. I found it shocking that some people in India believe that they should kill anyone, even one of their family members, who marries someone outside of their caste because they believe that marriage outside of your caste brings shame on their village (the majority of the people do not think this way).
    3. The most surprising thing I learned about Hinduism was that it is actually a monotheistic religion because I always thought it was a polytheistic religion. It surprised me because Hinduism has one god that takes many forms but I thought all the different forms were different gods.
    4. The most interesting thing I learned about Hinduism was that one of their texts is the world's largest poem and it is called the Mahabharata which is 220,000 and 18 sections. Also it speaks of the beliefs of reincarnation and dharma. I thought this was very interesting and I wanted to read parts of it.
    5. I thought it was fascinating that Hinduism has the belief of reincarnation in their religion. I thought that was fascinating because they believe that every ling thing in the world has a soul and when it dies it is reborn into another living thing and this cycle is repeated until the soul is one with their god.

    Questions I Still Have:
    1. When you are in one life and you are supposed to be following a certain dharma and then you die and are reincarnated into another life do you get a whole new dharma to follow or do you follow the one from your previous life?
    2. When the people are reincarnated do they have any idea of what they were like in their previous life or are they supposed to lose all their memory?
    3. Can Brahman become anything he wants to be as an avatar or are there only certain things he can be?
    4. Why do so many Hindu men leave their home after their kids grow up? I know it is to become more religious but why not just practice Hinduism very seriously in their home?

    Comments on Other Posts
    1. Maryanne M.,
    I also have a question about what you asked about "How often is somebody punished by death in the present day", my question is aren't they not allowed to kill people only some families get really upset when people marry outside of their castes and they kill the people who are getting married or who are in a relationship together.
    2. Hassan H,
    I agree with you that it was shocking how bad the untouchables were treated but I do believe that now there are laws about discriminating against the untouchables, so I think times are a little better for them now.
    3. Maryanne M.,
    I agree with you that it was fascinating how the Hindus believed in reincarnation because they believe that every living thing has a soul and after you have lived a full life and fulfilled your dharma the cycle of reincarnation ends and you become one with Brahman. Also I thought it was interesting how this cycle can last only a couple of lives or many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (continued from my last post)

    Part 2 Questions
    1. When you are reincarnated, or reborn, will you be another family or with the same people?
    2. How come the people in each caste just get along and become one equal country?

    Part 3

    Maryanne M.,
    I also thought that it was fascinating how people receive a consequence/punishment if they have an inter-caste marriage.

    John L,
    I also thought that Hinduism was polytheistic because I thought they worshipped many Gods. But after learning more about it, now we know that it's a polytheistic religion.

    Hope M,
    I agree with your thought about how the neighbors in "They Died For Love" agreed to kill the young couple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Part 1
    1. I was surprised by how much discrimination there is because of the caste system.
    2. I found it shocking that Hindus can be killed for loving someone in a different caste.
    3. I found the Mahabharata fascinating because of its extreme length.
    4. I think it's really interesting that all caste differences are set aside during Holi because they are usually such a big deal.
    5. I also think it's interesting how people assume that Hinduism is a polytheistic religion just because they don't know that they only believe in one god that takes many forms. This makes it monotheistic.

    Part 2
    1. Do people really care more about the caste system than their families? This is based off of the story "They Died For Love".
    2. How do you know what your dharma is?
    3. Since Kshatriyahs are in the warrior caste, what do they do when there aren't any wars being fought?

    Part 3
    Hope M, I agree with your thought that it was interesting that the families in "They Died For Love" agreed to kill their children.
    Maryanne M.,
    Your thought on people receiving punishments for marrying someone from another caste made me wonder, how else are Hindus punished besides being killed?
    Hassan H,
    I also found it shocking that the untouchables aren't allowed to live in cities/villages. I think this is very unfair because they have no choice in their caste and can't change it either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) How Hindus were with inter-caste marriage
    2) The holiday holi was interesting because people act crazy
    3) It was surprising how men leave the house when their kid gets a certain age
    4)Hindus have one god and he comes in many forms
    5) What was interesting the most was that the untouchables had to strike wood before entering a store

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1)how many times do hindus get reincarnated
    2)why are the priests higher than the rulers usally the rulers are higher

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with maryanne how it is fascinating how there are punishments for liking someone from another caste
    i also agree with hassan why won't people from other caste get alnog

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree with maryanne why is there punishments for liking someone from a diffrent caste

    i agree with hassan why won't people from other caste get along

    ReplyDelete
  13. Part 1

    1. I found it interesting that in Ancient India, people were divided into Castes or groups.
    2. I thought it was shocking that Indians in lower castes were not allowed to read holy books and parctice their own religion
    3. I was surprised that inter-caste marriages were not allowed and you could not marry the one you love.
    4. I found it interesting that Hindus believed in only one god, Brahman who takes many forms called avatars.
    5. I found it fascinating that Hindu's believed everyone had a soul and that everyones soul was reborn, called reincarnation

    Part 2
    1. Even though there is a law about not discriminating the untouchables, do many still possess negative thoughts of those in a poor state?
    2. How many times can you be reincarnated before your soul goes to the god Brahman?
    3. I wonder why in ancient times, forgiveness was very rare and if caste rules were broken, why would you kill your own family?

    Part 3:
    Sarah M., I also wonder what Kshatriyahs do when they are not at war.
    Maryanne M, I have the similar question of how often is someone punished by death in the present day, and I wonder if men or women are killed more often?
    Kenie S, I to found it interesting that the untouchables must strike wood when they enter the market.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PART 1:

    1] Indians are putinto a different caste when they are first born.

    2] Durga Puja is a celebration where families gather together and enjoy Begali sweets.

    3] THe Mahabharata is the longest poem in History to be written.

    4] I found it unteresting how Indians believed that everyone had a soul and would be reincarnated back to life.

    5] Yoga is a an excersise and also a skill used to relax the mind and focus on main things in life.

    PART 2:

    If Indians only believe in ONE God then why do some worship gods duch as Shudra and Vishnu?

    Why cant the different caste just be able to marry who ever they want, even if u were in a lower caste then the one u found interest in?

    ReplyDelete
  15. PART 3:

    Maryanne I also found it interesting how people were given consequences for being in an Inter-Caste Marriage/Relationship.

    Hassan I also found it shocking how The "Untouchables" were'nt allowed to live in the cities and villages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Part 1
    -I found the caste system rules interseting but at the same time I feel like what happens to you if you dont follow the rules is a little cruel
    -I found it sad that the untouchables are not allowed in the cities and not being able to believe in riencarnation(rebirth of the soul)
    practice religion.
    -I find it pretty cool that Hindu people -I find that it is diffrent that they have like bid shrines of the hindu god Brahman.
    -I found that Holi is the craziest and most fun looking holiday in the Hindu faith
    -I find it interesting that someone actualy wrote the Mahabharata, because it is so long. It is as long as the 8 Hindu holy books.

    Part 2
    1. Why was it such a big deal to not let the untouchables practice religion?
    2. How lond did it take to write the Mahabharata?

    Part 3
    Aaliyah,
    They believe in many gods but they all are the same god Brahman in avatar forms of the other gods like shiva, etc.

    Hassan,
    When we were reading about the caste system and I asked myself the same question about why dont people in othe castes get alond..seems strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Part 1
    1)I thought the caste system was fascinating
    2)I was surprised that some people were treated so badly because of their caste
    3)I was shocked that you weren't allowed to have relationships with people outside of your caste
    4)I was also shocked how if you were in a relationship with someone from from another caste you would be killed
    5)I thought the idea of reincarnation was interesting


    Part 2
    1)When you are reincarnated what do you become?
    2)Why are priests the highest caste?


    Part 3
    Hope,
    i also agree with how it was interesting how the neighbors in "they died for love" agreed to killing the boy and girl

    Brendan,
    i also wonder why it was such a big deal to let untouchables practice religion

    ReplyDelete
  18. Part 1
    1. I found it interesting that one of the Hindu holy texts which is the Mahabharata is the longest poem in the world.
    2. I found it shocking that inter-caste marriages were not allowed and that Hindus could not love someone in a different caste.
    3. I think its fascinating that Hindus believe in reincarnation.
    4. I found it surprising that Hinduism is a monotheistic religion.
    5. I think its interesting that some men leave their home after their children are grown up to go meditate.

    Part 2
    1. Why do some men leave their home after their children are grown up ?
    2. Why is it not allowed to marry someone in a different caste ?

    Part 3
    Maryanne,
    I agree with you i also found it interesting that Hindus believe in one god that can take many forms.

    Brendan,
    I also find it interesting that someone actualy wrote the Mahabharata.

    ReplyDelete