Monday, September 26, 2011

Period D- Hinduism

DUE WEDNESDAY, SEPT 28 by MIDNIGHT

Part 1- What are the FIVE most interesting,fascinating, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Hinduism.

Part 2- What questions do you still have about Hinduism?

Part 3- Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts in the following ways

-comment on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking
or
-answer the questions they posted.
or
-ask a follow-up question to a classmates' post

Please note
*Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer

54 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 1:
    *I found it shocking that it's not encouraged to marry someone from another caste system.
    *They are very strict about their religion.
    *I found it interesting that they are not very showey about their clothing.
    *It is interesting that they have meditation sessions to relax themselves.
    *It was shocking that in the story with Vishal and Sonu, they were killed because they were seeing each other.

    Part 2:
    *Do very religious Hindu kids play sports? If so, what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The five mostes interesting things to me about hinduism
    1.that they can be reincarnated a few times until they are one with brahman
    2.another thing that i founed interesting was that they can be either moved to a better caste,a plant or an animal depending on how good a person you are.
    3.there are 4 caste the brahmins(priests),the kskatriyas

    ReplyDelete
  5. The five most interesting things i learned about Hinduism are:
    1. One thing i learned about hinduism was that there are many holy books, likee the Rig Veda.
    2. A thing I found shoking was the Caste System and how it separates people into different groups in society.
    3.Another thing I found suprising in Hinduism was you couldnt marry people that werent in your caste.
    4.A thing I learned was that Hindus believe in good karma, so you can be reincurinated into a higher caste or into a person not an animal or a plant.
    5. A thing I found fascinating was that the Hindus use Yoga as spiritual esxcersize not just physical excersize.

    Questions:
    1. Who invented the Caste System and why did they do it?
    2. how many times do Hindues pray everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five interesting and shocking things about hinduism:
    1.the people in the lowest caste have to do all he work that is left for them(or that no one else wants to do)
    2.you can't marry anyone out of your caste
    3. People risk their lives for love, because they fall in love with someone who is in a different caste then they are
    4. Yoga is such a big part of the Hindu religion, however people in the united states do yoga every day just to relax.
    5. Just the fact that many people are completely separated from anyone that is not in their caste for their whole life is extremely shocking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Questions:
    1. How come those who do not believe in caste system express how they feel about all the strict laws and rules of the case system?
    2. What caste will you belong to if you do end up marrying someone from a different caste? And your children?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colette I learned about their karma and how they believe they are reincarnated. Imagine if you could become a plant or animal in your later life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ali it Is shocking that they are not encouraged to marry into another caste because what if they are truly in love with someone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I find it interesting that Hindus believe in reincarnation, would they remember their former life?
    2. I find it confusing how each family worships different deities when they are all one god, Brahman.
    3. I find it terrible how everyone is born into a caste system and the family can do nothing about it.
    4. I find it shocking how Vishnu and Sonu were killed just because they were in different castes and in love.
    5. I find it funny how even though yoga is a spiritual practice in India, it is a sport here.

    Is all of India still using the caste system today?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz, your so right about how people risk their lives for love it's crazy, i would hate to be put into a caste for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Colette, I think the Aryans invented the caste system, but i have no clue why they did it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is what I found interesting or shocking about Hinduism.
    1. I find it interesting that there are different forms of yoga.
    2. I find it shocking that the untouchables are still forced to follow all those hard rules.
    3. I find it interesting that the Katrishyas put their life on the line to defend Hinduism, but they are now a lower case than the Brahmins.
    3. I found it fascinating that Sudras can not be born twice.
    4. I found it interesting that only the Brahmans can teach the Vedas.
    5. I found it surprising that Hinduism had so many unskilled laborers.
    Aren't there laws about discrimination that United Nations should enforce when dealing with the untouchables?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shareen and Colette, I think the Caste System was made for incitement to make people do good things so they would be rewarded for good service.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Part 1:
    1. I find it interesting that some people bring shame to their communities if they fall in love with someone from another caste.

    2. I find it shocking that they believe in one god that lives in everything and takes many forms.

    3. I find it fascinating that Hindus believe in reincarnation, being born again.

    4. I find it interesting that each person has a dharma according to caste and gender.

    5. I found it shocking that there are so many different types of yoga.

    Part 2:

    How do you know what your dharma is?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nolan, I think today they do have laws about discrimination against untouchables.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liz, i agree that there is a big difference between yoga in Hinduism and yoga in the United States. In the United States we mostly do it for relaxation and exercise but in Hinduism they do it to become one with God.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The 5 things I found the most interesting or shocking about Hinduism:
    1. I found it interesting that marrying someone of a different caste is discouraged and puts shame upon the village that the couple is from.
    2. I find it fascinating that Hindus believe in reincarnation and you will continue this process until you are one with God (Brahman).
    3. I find it shocking that Sonu and Vishal were killed by their own families for falling in love with each other even though they were from different castes.
    4. I find it interesting that you are born into your caste and you cannot change it.
    5. I found it interesting that yoga is seen as a religious practice but also a way to become relaxed while here in the United States, it is used daily as exercise.

    Is the caste system used more in villages than towns or cities nowadays?
    Was/Is the death penalty always the effect when dealing with a couple from two different castes?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Colette, I found it shocking as well that the caste system divides people into different groups of society. It seems unfair that you cannot have a relationship with someone just because they are from a different caste.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Part 1:
    1.I found it interesting that Hindu's believe that one god takes many forms.
    2.I found it interesting that people were killed for disobeying the caste system.
    3.I also found it interesting how hindu's believe that you will be reincarnated until you are one with Brahman.
    4.I liked the fact that that hindu's celebrate Holi by throwing colored powders and colored water at each other.
    5.I find it it shocking how people are born into a class and cant move out of it.

    Part 2:
    1.Why do Hindu's worship a cow and not a goat, since goats give the same nourishment?

    Part 3:
    1.Colette, I'm with Shareen on this one. I think the Aryans invented the caste system, but i don't know why.
    2.Shareen's question:Is all of India still using the caste system. My question is if they don't use it everywhere where don't they use it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elizabeth, I also find it shocking that there are many types of yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Part 1)1-I found it interesting that Hindus have one god and (technically) multiplae gods.
    2-I found it fascinating that parents have murdered their own children becuase of inter-caste love affairs
    3-I found it shocking that their where/are so many "untouchables" in India
    4-I found it extremely surprising that outcastes were named the "children of god"
    5-I was very shocked when I learned that the laborers and merchants were not "as important" as the priests even though the labores were far more important to the village

    Part 2)What myths/heroes do they have to explain natural occurences?

    Part 3) Elizabeth M.) I totally agree with you, how can one god be so many people and things?

    Kate R) I think you are right,love is supposed to be good and encouraged right?, but INCORRECT love is frowned apon?! Then people are killed, what is this? A re-write of Romeo and Juliet?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Part 1 -
    •It's weird how there are people that will kill to keep people from marrying other people of different castes

    •I find it amazing how the caste system has been a major part of Hindu religion for thousands of years

    •I think it's pretty cool how Hindus have 1 god in multiple forms

    •It's shocking when I heard there were people that you should not talk to or be near

    •I find it surprising how some Hindus pray so many times in a day

    Part 2
    How long did it take to write the Rig Vedas and how many people helped with it?

    Part 3
    @Elizabeth M
    I think that if you were born a Brahmin you were expected to study and teach others about Hinduism and other religious things, if you were born a Kshatriya you were expected to rule or fight, and so on

    @Kate R
    I think that the death penalty was only for people who thought it was too great of a shame for people from 2 other castes to marry. I feel that would be a rare occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Five interesting things about Hinduism:
    1. I found it interesting that hindus belevei in reincarnation and being reborn into another living being.
    2. A surprising fact was that they could not marry outside of their caste sysytem.
    3. A facsinating fact was that they do yoga as a spiritual ritual and here in the US we do it as a excersise.
    4. I thought it was weird how whatever caste system you were born into, you could never switch out of it.
    5. I found it surprising that they only believe in one god but that it lives in everything.

    Do Hindus marry out of their religion?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dylan, i never thought about that, but it must have taken a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon I agree with you about reincarnation and being born into another living, it makes you think about what you'd be reborn as.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ali, i agree with you about not being able to marry someone who isnt in your caste. Its really unfair and if that were me I'd probably run away.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Part 1:
    Five interesting facts about Hinduism:
    1. You continue the process of being reincarnated until you complete your dharma and are one with Brahman
    2. Untouchables are completely ignored and left all the work nobody wants to do
    3. Hindus have numerous holy texts
    4. Hinduism is considered the world's oldest religion and does not have a single founder
    5. The Caste System is taken very seriously, death can be a result of marrying outside of your Caste

    Part 2:
    Do Hindus get married in temples? If so, if they marry a non-Hindu, would they still do so?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shareen, i also think its unfair that people are born into their caste and can do nothing about it

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nolan, i too found it interesting that there were so many unskilled laborers. You would think they would bother to help educate them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Meaghan, I think that Hindus don't get married in a temple but in the bride's house and the celebration takes several days.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I also agree with with Nolan I think it is ridiculous that there are soo many unskilled labors.

    ReplyDelete
  33. One question that I still have is why were they so strict about each and others castes?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Five things that I have learned about hinduism is...

    - In the hinduism holiday Holi they they colored powder at each other for fun.

    -In the the hindu holiday called Holi they also pour milk onto miniature figures of the god Brahman.

    -I have also learned that in India is very strict about their caste system. You were not aloud to marry someone from a different caste, some people were killed over this problem.

    -Another fact that I had learned while being taught Hinduism is that Holi is celebrated the day after the full moon, and is a two day affair.

    -Another extremely popular holiday for hinduism is Devali.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Part 1
    1. I found it interesting that there is a caste system in hinduisn.

    2. I found it surprising a family killed their daughter for marrying outside her caste.

    3. I thought it was unfair to be born into the caste system.

    4. I learned that the hindus have 4 holy books called the vedas.

    5. I found out that hinduism is the worlds, oldest still practiced religions

    Part2
    why did hindus stick with the idea of the caste system

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dylan I also thought it was weird people killed their daughter for marrying outside of the caste

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nolan I too think its shocking the untouchables still have to follow those rules

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. PART 1
    The five most interesting things that I learned were:
    1.That you can't move up in your caste.
    2.That inter-caste marragies are frowned upon and considered a shame on village.
    3.That after their children grow up fathers
    sometimes leave their families and wonder around trying to become more holy.
    4.That Hidu people belive in reincarnation
    5.That they celebrate Holi the holiday of colors by throwing colored powder on each other.

    PART 2
    A question that I have about Hinduism is:
    Does the Indian goverment try to do something to stop caste discrimination?

    ReplyDelete
  40. PART 3
    Joe I agree that it is unfair that you are born into a caste and you can't do anything about it.

    Shannon C I agree with you about the yoga! I find it strange that we think of yoga as a relaxing exercise but Hindu's think of it as a spiritual ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  41. part 1
    -i find it interesting that the hindu god Brahman takes many forms (avatars) and that god lives within all living things.
    -i was shocked that people in one caste were putting shame on their village by marrying someone of another caste.
    -I found it interesting that hindus believed you were reincarnated until you achieve moksha by fulfilling your dharma based on your caste and gender.
    -i found it interesting that priests are looked up to above all in stead of the rulers in the kshatriya caste.
    -i found it interesting that in the festi val of colors holi, they threw colored powder at eachother

    ReplyDelete
  42. part 2
    would it bring shame to someones village if they married someone of a caste above them?

    ReplyDelete
  43. charlie i also found it interesting people were killed because of an inter caste relationship/marriage.

    I also found it interesting that Sudras can not be born twice. it made me think that if people never forfilled their dharma and went down in the caste system they wouldnt be united with brahman.

    ReplyDelete
  44. 5 things i found interessting were that,
    Hindus kill their kids for being around kids of other castes
    you cant change castes
    there are such things as untouchables
    Hindus have multi day holidays
    they fight with muslims


    my questions are
    is it frowned upon if the person ur hanging out with is a higher cast?
    why do they only live in one place mostly unlike christians who are spread out across the world?

    ReplyDelete
  45. carleenm
    i think the indian government punishes the people they catch but they cant catch everyone so thats why it still exists a little bit

    ReplyDelete
  46. elizebeth,

    that also surprises me how there are so many types of yoga but i think its because yoga to them is not just exercise it is a way to connect to their god

    ReplyDelete
  47. Charlie, that is a good question! Now i am wondering about that too!

    ReplyDelete
  48. i agree with dylan and joe that it is wierd that people kill ther children for marrying outside there caste

    ReplyDelete
  49. why are does the colared ssand symbolize for holi

    ReplyDelete
  50. Part 1 -
    1. I found it interesting how Hindus believe in one god and are monotheistic, but still have different gods.
    2. I found it interesting that on the day Holi people throw colored sand at each other.
    3. I found it shocking how people in India take the caste system very seriously.
    4. It's interesting that Hindus use yoga to become closer to Brahmin.
    5. It's fascinating how Hindus worship on their own time on any day at the temples.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Part 2-
    What's the relationship between Dharma and Karma?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Part 3-
    @Dylan Banh I also wonder how long it took to write the Rig Vedas and how many people helped with it?
    Did Brahmins write it?

    @Brendan F I agree, why are Hindus so strict with the caste system when their religion is based on goodness to others and their world?

    ReplyDelete
  53. I found it shocking that parents would kill their children just because they were in a relationship with someone from another caste.

    I also think that it was interesting that someone could write the world's longest poem!

    I found it shocking that outcastes are treated unfairly, just because they were born into the outcastes.

    I found it strange that the outcastes had to announce that they were there so that people could stay away from them.

    Qs:

    Can people from other castes be in a freindly relationship, but not a loving one?

    Can people impersonate what caste they are from?

    Akeem: The colors are supposed to represent springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Shareen, India is still using the caste system.

    ReplyDelete