Monday, September 26, 2011

Period E- Hinduism

DUE WEDNESDAY, SEPT 28 by MIDNIGHT

Part 1- What are the FIVE most interesting,fascinating, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Hinduism.

Part 2- What questions do you still have about Hinduism?

Part 3- Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts in the following ways

-comment on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking
or
-answer the questions they posted.
or
-ask a follow-up question to a classmates' post

Please note
*Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer

60 comments:

  1. 1: I think that its mad wierd that people ca kill their own child just over a marrige!
    2: Supprin that people worship cows wheir we here in America kill and eat them.
    3:

    ReplyDelete
  2. One: The caste system is still in use, that's pretty shocking
    Two: Cows are apparently sacred here, like in a few other cultures
    Three: They have multiple gods/goddesses
    Four: They believe in reincarnation
    Five: People take the caste system waaay too far; I mean, killing your own child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)-I found it interesting how the Hindus have seperate books of the Veda while Christians only have one Bible.
    -I found it shocking how castes are so important to Hindus that Sonu's parents would kill her for being in a relationship with someone from a different caste.
    -I found it very shocking how awful the lowest caste, The Untouchables, were treated.
    -I found it interesting how Vedas are written as instructions so that priests can learn how to perform the ceremonies.
    -I found it fascinating how Hindus have a statue of a certain God in their house.
    2)-I wonder if there are families in the US that are as strict about the caste system as Sonu's parents were?
    -Are all Hindus vegetarians? Are some Hindus vegans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. INTERESTING FACTS
    -it was interesting to find that you have a dharma, depending on your caste.
    -it was wierd about the strict marrige rules, and how you cant marry someone from a differnent caste.
    -the fact that you can't move up and down the caste list, is very intreguing.
    -men leave their family to go on a spiritual quest to fulfill their dharma.
    -you are reincarnated until you reach moksha, or being one with god, you can do it in one life or millions.

    QUESTIONS
    ~Why are you not allowed to marry in and out of castes?
    ~Can all Hindues have the same jaob as a different caste, or are there rules against that?
    ~Are you allowed to enter a different caste's house like for a party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3: i thought it was suprring that the untouchables were like poutcasts! (1: **can, 2: Suppring)
    4: i thought that it was fasinating that you could keep getting reborn.
    5: i thought thatit was shoking that they worshipped a river!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The five most interesting things i have learned about hinduism are:
    1.) That familys are willing to murder the own daughter just because she was dating someone in a higher caste.
    2.)How they called the lowest Caste untouchables, meaning legit they couldnt be touched.
    3.) That Indians put up with the Aryan avaiders instead of making war with them.
    4.)That on Holi they throw colored water at eachother.
    5.) That most Hindus have shrins in thier homes.

    PART 2
    Do Gurus have to wear specific clothing or can they wear whatever they want?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lila,
    That is a good question, about how many gods are there in hinduism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I found it shocking inter-caste marraiges are deathly.I found it surprising that caste systems are technically illeagal.I didn't know that Hindus are mostly vegetarian because the cow is the Hindu sacred animal.
    2.) One question that I still have on Hinduism is: Do untouchables still practice Hinduism?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Owen,
    It is allowed to marry outside of your caste, but it's still frowned upon in some communities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you commit suicide and still be reborn?

    Aine, what is Holi?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Part 1:
    Five interesting things I learned about Hinduism is that is that you couldn't marry outside your caste. The second most shocking thing is that there languege Sanskrit was not written it was only spoken. A third most shocking thing is that the caste system is very strict with thier rules about people not marrying outside thier caste. A fouth suprising fact is that they changed the mariage rule and let people marry outside caste. Lastley i found it interesting that only girls/ladies are aloud to switch out of thier castes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Owen,
    it is a good question- can hindus enter a person of another caste's house for a party or something?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emme
    Yes, pretty much all Hindus are vegetarian, and some are vegan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Part 2: A question i have about Hinduism is do they have to go to church every day? Also do Hindu's have a good education?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nira,
    I also think that its surprising how cows are sacred to Hindus but Americans eat cows all the time.

    Lila,
    I was really surprised about how Hindus still use the catse system. I would have thought that they didnt use it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PART 1: I learned that You cannot marry outside of Castes, that You cannot eat meat if you are Hindu, That You cannot change Castes,That Hinduism is one of the oldest main religions, and that Hindus belive in Reincarnation.

    PART 2: to tell you the truth i dont really have any important questions.

    PART 3: Why is it shocking that they worship a river, Nira? Also, i think Lila's question is also good; how many gods + goddeses do hindu's have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. owen i think you are allowed in for parties, but they more often have festivals, not parties.

    can you ride a cow in hindhuism, or is it not holy??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Niara,
    Holi is a festival that Hindus do in the Spring where they through colored water and colored powder at eachother...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Part 1
    1. I find it shocking that parents can kill their own children over marrige.
    2. Also shocking how the caste system is very strict.
    3. I found it weird how they can not eat cows because they are a sacred animal.
    4. I found it intersesting that only girls can switch castes.
    5. I also found how the lowest caste is the untouchables.

    Part 2
    What is the most popular god to worship in the hindu religion?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aine,
    Good question, can Gurus wear what they want or do they have to have a certain wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
  21. emme,
    there is actually 66 books in the bible, not just the one, acording to bibleresources.com.

    ReplyDelete
  22. how many diffreent types of yoga are their?????

    Do they have a cow god?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Part 3
    Nira, I think you can but you will be somthing lame like a cadapillar.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Part 1- 5 facts
    • I found it interesting how serious people are about their religion.
    • I found it interesting how different our social systems are. How they can't pick a caste, and we can pick our jobs.
    • It was very shocking how when an "untouchable" enters a market, he/she must hit a board so that everyone will ignore them.
    •I found it surprising that they have 4 different books for holy texts.
    • It was shocking to know that they worship a cow.

    PART 2
    • How many holidays/ festivals do they celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was surprised that all people are born into a caste and there is pretty much no way out of it, you have to do the same work as people in your caste, worship the same way as people in your caste, and marry people in your caste.

    The most shocking thing i learned was how extreme families can be about following ones caste, for example the article about sonu and vishal and how their own families hanged them for falling in love.

    I thought it was fascinating how yoga is used to worship God.

    I thought it was inteerestiing how the god Brahmin lives in everything, and how the have different gods that represent different things.

    One thing that i thought was really cool was how they believe in reincarnation that when your body dies you are reborn, i thought it was a great outlook on life.

    Questions:

    -Why do modern day hindu people let the caste system rule their life?
    -Who made the caste rules? For example the one where they can't marry ooutside their caste.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aine,
    I would also like to know if Gurus have a specific uniform, that is something i want to learn more about!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Part 1
    1. i was interested that hinduism is more of a lifestyle than a religion.
    2. i was surprised that the aryans were a part of creating hinduism.
    3. i was fascinated that they can pray in their own house.
    4. i found it interesting that brahman lives in everything.
    5. i was fascinated that cows are holy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope,
    I also found it very interesting that they have 4 different holy books, i wonder how that works...

    ReplyDelete
  29. jacqueline,
    I don't understand why people just let the caste system rule thier life like I get it because its your religion I just don't understand.

    Nira,
    I think their is many types of yoga but what do you mean by types (moves or actual types)?

    ReplyDelete
  30. INTERESTING FACTS
    -there are a lot of different holy books.
    -there's no one founder.
    -they are born into castes and may only marry someone from their caste.
    -they believe Brahman lives in everything.
    -they use yoga for spiritual exercise not just physical.
    QUESTIONS
    -are there any Hindu temples in Massachusetts?
    -what do most Hindus wear?
    -is Gandhi still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  31. hope, i also found it interesting that they cant pick there caste, but we can pick our jobs.

    mairead, i found it interesting as well that cows were holy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. PART 1
    1)I found it interesting how they have SO many gods that they can worship and it is still a well-connected religion
    2)I found it facinating how the caste system pushed the warrior in the story to fight his old friends,teachers,even family!
    3)I found it shocking HOW that girl's family killed her and her boyfriend.They didn't even have the decency to do something else...or at least kill them in a less barbaric way!
    4)I found it facinating how our system depends on wealth and incom and thers is on what group you were born INTO.
    5)I found it interesting how important the cow is to the religion.

    PART 2
    1) how do they worshp when they are in the temple?
    2) why is the cow so sacred to them?

    ReplyDelete
  33. some questions that is still have about hinduism is
    why are cows holy?
    If the followers of the religion are very poor and can not sacrifice any food or anything to the gods, what do they do?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aine,

    Why do they have the celebration holi? What do the colors symbolize?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Monica,
    i was wondering that too and found out that Gandhi is not alive and was assassinated.

    ReplyDelete
  36. part 1
    1. i found it shocking that parents kill their children.
    2. i found it interesting that most Hindus are vegetarian.
    3. i found it shocking how they treated the untouchables.
    4. i found the caste system interesting.
    5. i found the rig Veda very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  37. part 2
    1. why is there not one single founder of Hinduism?
    2. why are there 3 major gods of Hinduism?

    ReplyDelete
  38. part 3
    Matt,
    i also found it shocking that parents kill their children.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Part 1:
    - I thought it was very interesting that the Hindu religion has such strict rules but so many gods. They must have certain laws for certain gods.
    - I was shocked that many couples of different caste's have been killed because they married or dated outside of the caste. Especially the people killed by their parents!
    - I was fascinated by the fact that someone finnaly reported the killings of people and enforcements stepped in and are trying to change that.
    - I was very fascinated by the celebration of Holi. Its amazing how for 3 days people can put aside their differences an just have fun!
    - I was suprised by the fact that you normally can't switch castes. It's not fair that your born into a caste then can't move from it.
    Part 2:
    - Has anyone of the Hindu religion tried to change the law of no marriages outside of your cast?
    - Doe the Hindu religion have any descrimination against any race, or being gay?
    Part 3:
    Kristen M, I also found it interesting that our system depends on wealth and incom while the Hindus system depends on what caste their born into. It's so different from eachother
    Emme C, I was also very fasicnated by the fact that hindus have many Vedas they worship while Christians only have 1 Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Part1:

    *I found it interesting that people practice Hinduism by doing yoga.

    *I think it's wierd that Hindu's worship the Ganges River and cows.

    *I am surprised that some Hindu's are so strict about their caste system that they would kill their own children. (Sonu/Vishal)

    *It's interesting that if you don't follow your dharma, you will be reincarnated into another living thing.

    *It shocked me to learn that most Hindu's are vegetarian-and that on certain holidays they don't eat.

    Part 2:

    *Why would you want to complete your dharma if it means dying and never getting reborn? Wouldn't they want to live again?????

    *Why are some Hindu's so strict about the cast system???

    ReplyDelete
  41. Monica,
    Gandhi's dead.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Aine,
    Good question-what do Gurus have to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  45. PART 2
    One other question I had was...
    ~Is it a sin if a Hindu, in any circumstance, doesn't want to celebrate a specific holiday/festival that is important to their religion?
    PART 3
    Monica,
    ~Yes there are Hindu temples in Massachusetts. There are actually 6! two are in Boston, one in Ashland, one in Oxford, one in Holbrook, and one in Billerica.

    2. Aine and Shannon,
    Gurus usually wear white robes, or just an outfit that is white.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Part 1 I learn a lot about Hinduism one interesting thing is that cows are sacred. One thing that is suprising is how some people thought it was ok to kill someone other dating or marrying some one out of your caste. Something that fasinated me is the Hindu Idea of reincarnation and being born again.I learn about the caste and how it about there jobs not there money. I also learn that Brahman is one main god and lives in every thing. I also learn about the holiday like Holi and for 2 day they celebrated and thrown colerd pwder at other people.

    ReplyDelete
  47. 2, what do Hindu thing that there heaven or after life is like

    ReplyDelete
  48. a question I have is what would happen if people saw you eating meat would people be mad like marrying out of your caste

    ReplyDelete
  49. Nira I think they through color at each other to rember holi is the festival of colr

    ReplyDelete
  50. matt m I think brahman is the most important god because he is in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Austin I agree with you it is wierd that parents kill there kids no matter what they did

    ReplyDelete
  52. Part 1:
    -i found it interesting that the caste system is still used today
    -i found it fascinating that yoga is part of Hinduism
    -i found it interesting that the cow is a sacred animal
    -i found it interesting that you have to marry someone inside your caste
    -i found the holiday Holi interesting
    Part 2:
    -Why would you kill your own kid for loving someone out of their caste?
    Part 3:
    Shannon
    i found it interesting that people are so strict about their caste to

    Jamie
    i also found it interesting that Hindu has such strict rules yet so many gods

    ReplyDelete
  53. matt, i think that your right with the whole lame caterpillat thing, but can you like do good deeds for like 2 days, then cammit suicide to become something better?

    another question: is someoneso holy and a good deed duer that they get reincarnated into acow?

    and whoo assasinated ghandi and why??

    ReplyDelete
  54. Lila, there are 330 million gods
    Austin, there isnt one single founder because when the aryans came to the indus valley, they blended their cultur with the people of the area

    ReplyDelete
  55. i found it cool that hindu gods have avatars
    i found it bad that people only like their caste
    i found it hurt full that they hung sonu
    i found it weird that they don't eat meat
    i found it awesome that they do yoga

    ReplyDelete
  56. why do they believe they are monotheistic

    ReplyDelete
  57. Kristin i agree with you why do they kill their kid

    ReplyDelete