The purpose of this blog is two-fold. First, you must to post what you thought were the 3 most interesting things about Judaism. Secondly, you must post any questions you have pertaining to the Judaism Assessment. What questions/topics/key terms are you having trouble finding the answer to?
1)What are the 3 most interesting things you have learned about Judaism?
2)What questions/topics/key terms are you having trouble finding the answers to for the Judaism Assessment?
Instructions for responding
1)Comment on both questions in your post
2)You must respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting and/or answering the questions they posted.
a.Use one another as resources to help complete the Judaism Assessment. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you have the correct answer. Also tell them where you found the answer (i.e. See CW#13, question#10)
3)You may use a bullet point list or paragraph format. Be sure to post complete thoughts.
4)YOUR POST AND RESPONSE IS DUE BY THURSDAY NOVEMBER 18 AT MIDNIGHT
**This blog post will count as your first quiz grade for term 2**
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1) The 3 most interesting things that I have learned about Judaism is they only eat Kosher meat, they very stongly believe on no work on the Sabbath, and I learned that Moses freed the Jews from Egypt.
ReplyDelete2)The topics/key terms that I'm having trouble with is what country makes up the Land of Canaan and what a rabbi is.
1) i learnd about the connection to Christianity, how it grew out of Judaism and still refers to the torah (the old Testamin).
ReplyDelete2) i learnd about the 5 holybooks in the torah; Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Leviticus, and Genesis.
3) i learnd that maby Jews fallow the laws of Kosher
1)who was Abraham?
2) what was the Talmud?
1)how strict the orthodox branch is.
ReplyDelete2)im having trouble finding out what the talmud is.
ReplyDeleteDear Madelyn,
ReplyDeleteA Ribbi is the Jewish vertion of a priest. he leads the seremonies in prayer. the land of Canaan was in present day Isreal.
-Meggie
Things I learned:
ReplyDelete1)I learned that the 5 holybooks are in the Torah.
2)Moses freed the Isreali slaves from Egypt.
3)I learned that the Isrealis have been fighting the Arabs for Isreal because the Isreali's say it is theirs but the Arabs have lived their longer.
Questions that i have:
1)How do people convert to judaism?
2)Why don't people work on the Sabbath?
Dear Meegggie,
ReplyDelete1)Abraham was the founder of Judaism.
p.s.Moses was the phrophet of Judaism and he got the 10 commandments form God (Yahweh) on Mt. Sinai.
2)I would also agree that Christianity grew out of Judaism!
1) The 3 interesting things that i learned are that the Jewish people stayed in the desert for 40 years before going into Israel.Next how they have to eat Kosher foods.Lastly how the Jews are still waiting for the Messiah.
ReplyDelete2)I am having trouble with the Talmud and the Seder.
1) The 3 most interesting things I learned are that Judaism is really close to the christian relgion,They are still waiting for thhe Messiah to come, and Moses helped them to escape from Egypt
ReplyDelete2)I have trouble finding what the Land and Canaan is.
1. Judaism is related to Christianity because of the Ten Commandments, in some branches women are seperate from men, and they are still waiting for their Messiah to appear.
ReplyDelete2. What is the Talmud?
What is the Land of Canaan?
Thank you Meeggie!
ReplyDelete1) The 3 most interesting things I learned about Judaism are that they believe the Messiah will appear at the Wailing Wall, that Moses recieved the Torah on the top of Mount Sinai, and that Jews believe that Israel is their promised land.
ReplyDelete2) The topics/key terms I'm having trouble with is number 40: "Obstacles to the peace process between Palestine and Israel".
thank you Madelyn,
ReplyDeleteP.S. i know that Moses is the prophet thanks for the extra info.
Dear Danielle,
ReplyDeleteMeggie just recently told me that the Land of Cannan is in present day Israel.
I too think that it is interesting that the Jews are still waiting for thier Messiah to come!!!
i also found out that orthodox jews cant even flip a light switch on the sabbath day and how strict the are about keeping kosher
ReplyDelete3 Things I have Learned
ReplyDelete1. that Abraham was the founder
2. That the land of Canaan is Palestine and Israel
3.Some Jewish people are kosher
Dear Meeegggie,
ReplyDeleteYou are very for the extra information about Moses! I am always free to help you with any needs you might have!!!!
dear billy,
ReplyDeletei think it's interesting how they consider flipping a light switch work.
thank you Madelyn
ReplyDeleteDear Julia,
ReplyDeletethe land ofCanaan is Isreal
1.)I learned Abraham was the first of the Patriarchs of the Jewish Religion.
ReplyDelete2.)I also learned he made a covenant with God.It is where he moved to the promised land because God said his people would be blessed so would be his descendents.
3.)In addition,I learned the Jews are figthing over the land for with Palestines.
Dear Madison,
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure all Jewish people are Kosher.
Dear Madelyn did you know moses got the 10 commandments from god on mount Sinai
ReplyDeletekevin i too think that all jews are kosher
ReplyDeleteDear Julia,
ReplyDeletethe obsticals to the peace process between Plestine and Isreal are that they both think they have right over the land of Isreal. the Jewish people who live there belive they were told by god that this was there land, how ever the Palestiniens say that they lived in Isreal first.
dear zach,
ReplyDeletepeople don't work on the Sabbath because god made the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th so Jews believe they shouldn't work on the Sabbath (the 7th day).
Sarah the Land of Canaan is present day Israel thanks to Madelyn
ReplyDeleteDear Kevin,
ReplyDeletenot all Jewish people are Kosher, someone could decide to not be kosher
Dear Danieeeelle,
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome just like Meeeeggie I am glad to help you any time!!!!!!!
Billy is the Land of canaan just present day Israel or is it present day Palestine too?
ReplyDeleteDear Meggie,
ReplyDeletethey spilt the land in half but Israel keeps taking more land
Dear Maddy,
ReplyDeletenot all jews are Kosher
thanks Meggie :)
ReplyDeletei believe it is present day israel not palestine but im not completley sure
ReplyDeleteMeggie
ReplyDeleteAll orthodox Jews are Kosher that is what i meant.
Dear Zach
ReplyDeletethe land of Canaan is also Palestine
Who is Abraham?????
ReplyDeletemost jews are kosher they just have diffrent levels of how strict they are in the matter
ReplyDeleteDear Zachary,
ReplyDeletePeople can convert to Judaism by getting blessed and converted by a Jewish rabbi!!
Dear DAniella
ReplyDeleteAbraham is the founder od Judaism
how is the land of Canaan important to the Jews?
ReplyDeleteMeggie
ReplyDeleteJudaism is also connected to Islam as well as Christianity.
Thank you Madison!
ReplyDeleteDear Danielle,
ReplyDeleteAbraham was a hearder who lived at least 3,700 years ago in Iraq. It is said that all Jews descend from Sara and Abraham. He made a covenant with God that if he moved them to Canaan he would be blessed.
how is it connected to islam
ReplyDeletedear Kevin,
ReplyDeleteyour not right. not all orthodox jews have to be kosher they could fallow all other rules and still be orthodox
3 things I learned
ReplyDelete1)they have abunch of prophets.
2)they follow the one god rule.
3)it is a very realigous realigion.
qusetions I have
why is the star of David their realigous Symbol?
Zach- they don't work on the sabbath because it is the a important day of rest.
Why did the Jewish people think Jesus wasn't the Messaih?
ReplyDeleteI believe Jesus was the Messiah because he healed so many people and the biggest miracle I learned was he brought a dead woman back to life.
My next question is why there's 3 branches of Judaism?
Finally I would like to know why a person needs to convert to Judaism if married to a Jew?
Dear Aman,
ReplyDeleteJusus wasn't the Massiah because the Massiah had to build the 3rd temple, must be descended on his father's side from King David (and Jesus wasn't), and the Massiah was to lead Jewish people in full Torah observance. Jesus did not/wasn't any of these.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks Julia
ReplyDeleteAman the three branches of Judaism is orthodox reformed and conservative.
ReplyDeleteThe three most intresting things I have learned about Judaism is that some Jews won't even drive on the sabbath, that the ten commandments are the same in christanity, and how much of and impact the Israel and Palestine conflict has had.
ReplyDeleteOne question that I have is what did Abraham do?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe reason people don't work on the sabbath is because the ten commandment told Jewish people to keep the sabbath holy. notes 13
ReplyDeleteJulia the obtalces between the Israel and Palestine is that Palestine doesn't consider Israel at all and does not want to negotioate.
I found out what Abraham was thanks to all the people who posted it.
ReplyDeletesarah,
ReplyDeletethe land of canaan is palestine
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteoh wait this isn't my class sorry
ReplyDeleteFor anyone that is still having trouble with the Talmud it is a collection of conversations between Rabbis in the past
ReplyDelete3 interesting things I learned about Judaism is
ReplyDelete1. I learned that they do no labor on the sabbath.
2.that their still waiting for their messiah.
3.that the torah is actually five separate books.
Some questions I have are:
1.What fabric did the ancient Hebrews use to make their clothes and shoes? 2. what is the Talmud?
Dear Kevin,
ReplyDeletethe seder is a meal that takes place during passover in which the family recalls the events of exodus.(notes number 14,number 4 under passover.)
I found out what the Talmud is. It is (Oral Law)commentary of ancient rabbis that elaborates on how to apply God's Law in everyday life like dietary rules, dress and other symbols, etc. (CW #17)
ReplyDeleteDear Julia M.
ReplyDeleteI think Jesus was the Messiah in many ways. Jesus healed the sick and that was one of the things the Messiah would do. Most Jewish people thought it was Jesus's ambition and their advantage to overthrow Rome. It's been like more than thousands of years and one of the years a Messiah could come because there was piece in one of those years. Jesus did bring a dead girl back to life and turn a mean person into a good person so that is a second thing the Messiah would do. I think there will never be a replacement for Jesus.The Jewish people just thought Jesus was just a wiseman and I think people are pathetic for that but no you.You kind of have a point and you didn't say Jesus was a wiseman
Dear Danielle D.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the information. Do you think Jesus was the Messiah? I believe he was.
Learned that when people display lights they are representing the North Star.
ReplyDeleteThat angel Gabriel came to Mary and told her she was going to carry and give birth to God's son.
People exchange gifts on Christmas because the Three Wise men gave gifts to Jesus on that day.