Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Period D-Islam

Instructions for the Islam Blog

1) What are the THREE most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Islam?

2) What questions do you still have about Islam?

3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.

***You may use a bullet point list or paragraph format. Be sure to post complete thoughts.***

YOUR POST & 2 RESPONSES ARE DUE BY SUNDAY,JANUARY 9 AT MIDNIGHT
**This blog will count as your quiz grade for term 2**

50 comments:

  1. I found it shocking that the media can post their negative opinions on the religion Islam on the news/newspaper.

    I found it interesting that Muslim women can not show any skin besides their head n hands.

    It's interesting how Muslims have to walk around the Kaaba seven times.

    Questions:
    What are other holidays besides the Hajj is important?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting that Muslims must make the pilgrimage to Mecca in their lifetime.

    I found it surprising that Muslims must face Mecca when praying.

    I found it shocking that some people will kill Muslims because of there religion.

    One question i have is what is the Jihad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Ramadan is one of the most important holiday in the Islam Religion. It is where they must fast only having meals at dawn and sunset for a whole month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part 1 - What I Learned
    1. It surprised me that Muslims believe in Abraham and Moses, because they are the patriarchs of Judaism.
    2. I found it interesting that mosques serve as community centers and schools, not just as a prayer gathering space.
    3. It shocked me that Muslim men can have up to 4 Muslim, Christian or Jewish wives, but Muslim women can only have 1 Muslim husband.

    Part 2 - Questions
    1. Why are bazaars important in Islamic culture?
    2. What is the purpose of a caliph?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian,
    The Jihad is a holy struggle to bring Islam to other lands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 things that i learned from Islam:

    * It's surprising that there's 1.5 billion Muslims in the world.

    * It's interesting that the word Islam means "surender to the will of God."

    * It's surprising that in A.D. 716, the Muslims ruled almost all of Spain.


    My Question:

    Why do Muslims worship at a place called mosque instead of a church?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garrett, Caliph's are a group of prominent Muslims met/choose a new type of leader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa Y, the other Islam holidays that are important icluding Ashuraa day, Dhu Al-Hijja, Eid-ul-Fitr and a few others

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it interesting that Muhammad conquered Mecca peacefully how would he do that? wouldn't they fight him?

    I found it surprising that the Sunni and Shi'a have been fighting for centuries.

    I found it shocking how many Americans fear Islam. And how some burn down Mosques and Murder Islam people.



    Does anyone know who Muhammad's parents were?

    What do the organizations against Islam do? do they just protest or what?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gillian,
    A Jihad is a holy war. A war over religion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Gillian and Shawn.

    Shawn,

    Muslims worship at a mosque instead of churches because its "their" religions' place of worship. Churches are Christians place of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. -i found it shocking that so many people fear Muzlims because of what the media says
    - I found it interesting that the Muzlims have to follow the five pillars
    - I found it interesting that the muzlims have to pray while facing mecca

    Question:
    what are the five pillars in Islam?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ben j,
    the organazations against islam protest on the mosqu in New York City and one of the men in the debate that we wacthed in class was in an anti Islam Organization

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben J,
    I also found it interesting that Muhhamed conquered Mecca peacfully. Mabey it was peaceful because he was making changes for the good

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3 things
    - i found it interesting that they have to fast in the holy month of ramadan from sunrise to sunset
    -i found it shocking that women are mistreated in some places
    -i found it very interesting that when people have a debate about islamaphoiba it tends to get very heated

    questions
    -Who wrote down muhammad's first revalation since he couldnt write then?
    -What happened to Muhammad's parents?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liam,
    the five pillars are:
    1. there is no god but Allah
    2. pray 5 times a day while facing Mecca
    3. make the pilgrimge once in your lifetime to Mecca
    4. fast during the month of Ramadan
    5. Give Alms to the poor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shawn,

    A mosque is kind of like a church it is a place of worship for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found it interesting that there is a "season" to make the Hajj every year.
    I found it upsetting that so many people had negative opinions about all of Islam just because of the extremist/terrorist groups.
    I found interesting that women wear veils to be seen, but not abused.

    Questions:
    Who wrote down all of Muhammad's teachings?
    How long did it take for people to accept Islam?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Garrett,
    Sunnis believe that caliphs are the religious leaders of Islam, while Shites believe that caliphs are the political and religious authority.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Javana,
    Muhammad's parents died when he was six years old. HIs grandfather took him in, and then his uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. -I found it surprising that Muslim men can have up to four wives, as long as he treats each of them equally.
    -I found it interesting that Muslims accept that Jesus was a prophet, just not the last one.
    -I found it shocking that a woman cannot be alone with a man other than her husband or family.

    What are infidels?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Javana,
    I don't think anyone wrote down Muhammad's first revelation, he had to memorize it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shawn-
    I also found it surprising that there are 1.5 billion Muslims in th world, that's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found it interesting how Muslims have to pray 5 times a day while facing Mecca

    I found it surprising that Islam is feared by so many people

    I thought that it was very interesting how Mosques are also used as community centers and schools


    One question I have is why do some Muslims (extremists) disobey part of the Koran to kill non-Muslims? isn't it against their religion to kill non-Muslims if they aren't attacking their religion?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shannon-
    I also found it surprising that Muslim men can have up to four wives, as long as he treats them all equally.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon-
    Infidels are people who do not believe in Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Julianna,
    Muhammad couldn't read or write, so he had to memorize the messages from the Angel Gabriel. The messages were passed down orally for years, and then someone wrote them down in the Koran.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Julianna,
    I also found it very interesting that there was a season for the hajj each year. I wonder why they chose the month of December in our calendar (I can't remember the name of it in Islam) because it might be cold in Mecca.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I found it interesting that Muslims have two main holy books the Hadith and the Koran.

    I thought it was interesting that Muslims make the hajj each year.

    I also found it interesting that there are two different branches of Islam and they have many differences.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Shannon,

    I also found it interesting that Muslims accept Jesus as a prophet but just not the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lisa ,
    i aslo found it interesting that women can't show there skin besides there head and hands.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Islam three things I found it interesting:
    -I found it interesting that they have to make a pilgrimage to mecca sometime in their life.
    -I thought it was shocking that muslim men can have up to 4 wives.
    -I found it interesting that that some muslims go as far as burning down a mosque or murdering someone.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ben,
    I also found it interesting that the Sunni and shia have been fighting for centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lisa,
    I also found it interesting that the media can post their negative comments and opinions on the religion Islam in the newspapers and news.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shannon,
    Infidels are nonbelievers, they are unfaithful to a religion.

    ReplyDelete
  36. albert,
    some muslims would take the word of muhhamed wrong and think that allah wants you to kill all infidels

    ReplyDelete
  37. javana,
    the word of muhhamed was spread orally then when they had the technolagy to write they wrote it down by what they have heard

    ReplyDelete
  38. 3 interesting things about islam
    -i found it interesting that muslims pray five times a day, i would imagine that would take up a big part of their life
    -i found it amazing that every muslim complete the hajj
    -i found interesting that there are the 5 pillars one should follow

    question
    -what are the madrases

    ReplyDelete
  39. Shanon,

    Infidels are non believers of Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 1. I found it shocking that Muhammad came back and conquered Mecca peacefully.
    2. I thought it was amazing that some people would murder because they fear islam.
    3. I also found it shocking that Muslims have to pray 5 times a day.
    Question:
    1. Why do Muslims face Mecca when they pray?

    ReplyDelete
  41. liz o,
    Madrasas is type of education institution.

    ReplyDelete
  42. emily k,
    I also thought it was shocking that muslim men can have up to 4 wives, but women can only have 1 husband.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Liz,

    I also found it very interesting that Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day. It seems like it would be difficult to stop in the middle of what you're doing to pray at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  44. 3 things i found interesting
    -i found it interesting that muslims celebrate ramdan considering all the rules they have to follow
    -i found it surprising that one of the five pillars is to give to the poor
    -i found it surprising that there is more than one branch of islam

    questions i have
    -why are muslim men allowed more than one wife?

    ReplyDelete
  45. myles
    muslims face Mecca when praying because the kaaba is located there and Muhammad was born.

    ReplyDelete
  46. lisa
    i also found it shocking that the media say negative things about Islam because, most of them probably don't even fully understnad/ know about the religion.

    ReplyDelete
  47. 3 things that I have found interesting are...

    1. That muslims have a whole month of fasting-- Ramadam.

    2. That muslim men can marry four women, but they have to treat everyone COMPLETELY equal. Four instance if he buys a ring for one he has to buy a ring for all the others.

    3. That muslims were once very new fashioned, but then a leader wanted to go back to the old fashioned times, so they went "back in time"

    Daysia,
    Muslim men are allowed to have more than one wife because back in the day there were men being killed so much that women lost their husbands. There were so many men being killed that they put it into law that you can have more than one wife because women would be husbandless with all the "lack of men".

    Emily,
    I also find it interesting that in the five pillars it states that you have to make a pilgrimage to mecca sometime in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  48. ---3 things i found interesting---
    1. i found it interesting that Islam "peace through the submission to God".
    2. I find iy shocking that Allah isnt only just a muslim god but the creator of all things and people
    3. i found it shocking that The Holy Quran has 30 parts and the Holy Quran has 114 surahs
    -----questions--------
    1. what is the hajj?
    2. why do they consider muhammed a prophet?
    -----semingly random fact-----
    Muhammed is the most common name in the world

    ReplyDelete
  49. Liz O, i also found it interesting that there are 5 pillars one muslim should follow

    ReplyDelete
  50. Julianna C, techincally people still dont "accept" the religion of Islam therefore it causes Islamophobia

    ReplyDelete