Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Period D-World Religions

Instructions for the World Religions Blog

1) What are the TWO most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam? Make sure you post two things for each religion (5 religions x 2 comments =10 total)

2) What questions do you still have about Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity or Islam?

3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.

***You may use a bullet point list or paragraph format. Be sure to post complete thoughts.***

YOUR POST & 2 RESPONSES ARE DUE BY SUNDAY,JANUARY 9 AT MIDNIGHT
**This blog will count as your quiz grade for term 2**

62 comments:

  1. Hinduism:
    * Hinduism began 5,000 years ago in the Indus River Valley.
    * The Dravidians were the earliest inhabitants of India.

    Buddhism:
    * Sardartha had great power to defeat his foes, and create a new life on Earth.
    * The most sacred Buddhist ceremony is The Kaliehakra.

    Judaism:
    * Jews trace their ancestry back to Abraham the first of the patriarchs.
    * The Wailing Wall is a place where Jews believe the Messiah will appear to bring peace/harmony to the world.

    Christianity:
    * Ash Wednesday (Lent) is 40-day period of fasting/repentance in preparation for Easter.
    * The number of Christians in the world is 2.1 billion.

    Islam:
    * Jihad is the Holy War/Struggle in the belief that Muslims must spread Islam to other lands.
    * The Koran is the Holy Book of Islam, which contains many references to both the Jewish/Christian traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hinduism:
    -Hindus believes in the caste system (Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaisya, Sudras.) And outcastes, Untouchables.
    -Hindus cleanse their souls in the Ganges River.

    Buddhism:
    -Buddha disagreed with the Hindu caste system and questioned the authorities.
    - Buddha became enlightened under the Bodhi Tree in India.

    Judaism:
    -Jews were considered monotheistic, which is believing no one but God.
    -God made a convenant with Abraham, if he leaves Iraq and lead the people to the Promised Land, they will be blessed.

    Christianity:
    -Christians also believes in the Ten Commandments, and they go to churches, a place of worship.
    -Christians believes that Jesus was crucified for their sins.

    Islam:
    -The mosque is their place of worship.
    -Muslims has to visit Mecca and walk around the Kaaba seven times; Pilgrimmage to Mecca. Muslims face Mecca while praying because it is their place of worship and is the most sacred place, and it is also where Mohammed was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about Islam, is Muhammad the profet of islam?


    And a question for Judaism, why do Jews don't believe in Jesus again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hinduism:
    -There is no single founder of Hinduism.
    -Hindu gods are all forms of Brahman.

    Buddhism:
    -The only cure for suffering is to overcome desire by following the Eightfold Path.
    -Theravada Buddhists focus on the teachings of the Buddha more than the Buddha himself, yet Mahayana Buddhists focus on the Buddha himself, celebrating him as a savior.

    Judaism:
    -Hanukkah is a holiday celebrating how the amount of oil only able to last for one day lasted for eight days; it was a miracle. This is why they have eight candles on the menorah.
    -Orthodox rabbis will not recognize religious conversions performed by non-Orthodox rabbis.

    Christianity:
    -Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount to turn the other cheek if someone slaps your face.
    -All Christians are born original sinners, and must cleanse their sins at baptism.

    Islam:
    -Islam practices polygamy for Muslim men.
    -Muslims believe that the Angel Gabriel said to Muhammad, "You are the messenger of God."

    Questions:
    Hinduism: Are there any branches of Hinduism?
    Judaism: Why do the Palestinians believe that Israel/Palestine area is their holy land?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn,
    Yes, in Islam, Muhammad is the last prophet to appear on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    I also found it interesting that Buddha became enlightened under the Bodhi Tree. It is pretty amazing that he concentrated and meditated so much under the tree that he overcame desire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks garrett for the info about Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  8. And garrett, you can ask mr. turrisi about if there's any branches in Hinduism because he's knows about Hinduism more

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hinduism:
    - I found it interesting that Hinduism was founded 5000 years ago but no one knows who founded it.
    - I thought it was interesting how you are told what you will be in life based off of your family ( caste system )

    Buddhism:
    - I found it interesting that the founder of Buddhism was I Hindu.
    - It was strange how Sidartha married his cousin, wouldn't their child be a little messed up?

    Islam:
    - I thought it was interesting how the Angle Gabriel is in so many religions. He visited Muhammad and talked to Marry and Joseph.
    - It was strange that he married someone who was so much older than him. Almost double his age.

    Christianity:
    - I thought it was very surprising that Marry just accepted that she would give birth to Jesus and not be a little angry at all.
    - It was surprising to me that there are 2.1 BILLION christians in the world.

    Judaism:
    - I thought it was surprising that Orthodox Jews do not allow women Rabbi's.
    - I thought it was interesting that boys and girls can be at different ages to have their Bar/Bat Mitzfah. !2 for girls and 13 for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Garret,
    Jews believe that Israel is their holy land because it is believed that god promised it to Abraham as part of the covenant between them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garret,

    Jews believes that Palestine is their holy land because they believe that it was given to them by God, according to the Old Testament.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hinduism:
    -I find it interesting that Hinduism was founded in the Indus River Valley
    - I also found it interesting that there is no single founder in Hinduism

    Buddhism:
    - i found the story of Siddartha Gutama in Budhism interesting like his meditations and miricles
    -I also found it interesting tht he tryed to achieve enlightenment with other people but all he needed as himself and meditation
    Islam:
    - I found it interesting that the whole religion of Islam started with Muhhamed having a vision
    -i found it interesting that Muhhamed was born in mecca so that is why the muzlims have to make a pilgramage there once in there life
    Judaism:
    -I found it interesting that a bar/batmitzva is showing when someone is becoming an adult
    -jews are monotheistic and there holy book is the torah
    Christianity:
    -I was suprised that 76 percent of Americans are Christian
    - the Christian holy book is the Bible
    Question:
    Hinduism: where do Hindus pray/ what are there places of worship?
    Islam:Who is the biggest promoter of Islamiphobia?

    ReplyDelete
  14. shawn d,

    Jews do believe in jesus, jesus was actually born a jew. jewish people were mad at him because he preformed miricales on the sabbath

    ReplyDelete
  15. lisa,

    I also found it interesting that jews are monotheistic or the belief in one god

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hinduism
    -I found it interesting that there is no single founder
    - i found it shocking how the outcasts live
    Buddhism
    -I found it interesting that the Buddha was first a Hindu
    - i found it interesting that Buddha could stop a angry elephant
    Judaism
    -i found it interesting Jewish boys and girls have different types of celebrations for when they turn of age
    -i thought that it was shocking that in some branches of Judaism that women rabbi were not allowed
    Christianity
    -I found it interesting that Jesus' own people turned on him
    -When Jesus gave his sermon on the mount i thought it was very interesting
    Islam
    - i found it very interesting that Muslim men could have up to 4 wives
    -I thought it was weird that women could not be int he same room as other men who are not their brother

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liam,

    I also found it in there is no single founder in Hinduism.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ben,
    I also thought that it was interesting that boys and girls have Bar/Bat Mitvah's

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hinduism:
    -I found it interesting that Hindus believe their religion to be monotheistic, and the gods are all avatars of Brahman.
    -I found it interesting that Hinduism is the only major religion that believes in the caste system.

    Buddhism:
    -I found it interesting that SIddhartha was born a Hindu prince, but abandoned his luxurious life to become a holy man.
    -I found it interesting that it took Buddha so many years to obtain enlightenment

    Judaism:
    -I found it interesting that the different branches of Judaism all have different views on Judaism.
    -I found it interesting that girls had Bat Mitzvahs (age 12) earlier than boys had Bar MItzvahs (age 13)

    Christianity:
    -I found it surprising that Christianity is the largest religion in the world, with 2.1 billion followers.
    -I found it interesting that there are reasons behind all of our holiday traditions (ex. giving presents at Christmas signifies the generosity of the three wise men)

    Islam:
    -I found it interesting that humans would resort to murder over Islamophobia
    -I found it shocking that conservatives believe it is okay to profile at airports, and checking people wearing traditional Muslim clothing, instead of having a random search.
    -I found it interesting that Islam is the fastest growing religion and the youngest religion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liam,
    Hindus pray in temples, household shrines, ashrams (a studio where spiritual and physical exercise are performed), and the Ganges River.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Javana,
    I also found it weird that women could not be in the same room with a man that wasn't her brother or husband.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Garret, I found it interesting that jesus was born a jew, but the jews were mad at him because he performed miracles on the sabbath

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two interesting facts about:
    Christianity: Christians only believe in one God. Easter and Christmas are their most important holidays.
    Juduism: Jews gather on Saturdays. Some Jews only eat Kosher food.
    Hindu's: Celebrate a lot of different holidays. Divali is their most important Hindu holiday.
    Muslims: Muslims pray 5 times a day. Each time Muslims pray they face Mecca.
    Buddhists: Siddharta Gautama was known as the Buddha. Buddist have holidays all year long.

    Question I still have:
    Why do Muslims treat woman so poorly?

    Liam - I think the biggest promoter of Islamaphobia is the media.

    Shawn D. - Yes Muhammus is the prophet

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hinduism:
    -I found it interesting that it is considered a monotheistic religion even though there are many deities.
    -I found it surprising that since the cow is sacred, they can roam the streets of India freely.

    Buddhism:
    -I found it interesting that the Buddha was born a Hindu prince, but ten traded in all his riches for a life pursuing enlightenment.
    -I found it surprising that he thought starving and torturing himself would lead him to enlightenment.

    Judaism:
    -I found it interesting that there are many branches of Judaism, like Orthodox, Conservative, etc.
    -I found it shocking that 6 million Jews were murdered in World War II.

    Christianity:
    -I found it interesting that the Bible says that Jesus rose from the dead after being crucified.
    -I found it shocking that the king found Jesus as a huge threat.

    Islam:
    -I found it surprising that people profile Muslims just because of their religion.
    -I found it shocking that a Muslim man can have up to four wives, but a Muslim woman can only have one husband.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julianna-

    I also found it interesting that girls have their bat mitzvahs before boys have their bar mitzvahs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Javana-
    I also found it very shocking how the outcasts are treated so poorly, it is really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hinduism:
    I found it very interesting how Hinduism was the first religion founded out of the 5 we learned about, being 5000 years old!

    I found it surprising that Hindus believe that their religion is Monotheistic, and all of those gods are incarnations of Brahman.

    Buddhism:
    I found it interesting that Siddhartha Gautama founded Buddhism while trying to figure out how to end all pain and suffering.

    I found it surprising that Buddhism was founded out of Hinduism, sharing some beliefs and rejecting some beliefs.

    Judaism:
    I found it interesting that Abraham, founder of Judaism, is also in Christianity and Islam

    I found it shocking how few Jews there are in the world compared to the other religions.

    Christianity:
    I found it interesting how Christianity was founded from Judaism, but it involves different teachings with the Jewish ones.

    I found it surprising how Christianity is the most widespread religion in the world

    Islam:
    I found it interesting how Islam believed in Jesus, but that he was just another prophet.

    I found it shocking that Muhammad actually memorized his revelations and recited them from memory before they were written down.

    Some Questions:
    Why do Muslims, Jews, and Christians all believe in Abraham?
    How come there are religions founded off of other religions?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Juliana:
    I also found it interesting how Hinduism is the only religion which believes in the Caste System.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Liam:
    Hindus pray at household shrines, temples, and probably the Ganges River

    ReplyDelete
  30. HInduism:
    I found it interesting that HInduism is a monotheistic religion and it is 5,000 years old.

    I found it surprising that Hindus were very strict about there caste system.

    Buddhism:
    I found it interesting that Buddhists have to follow the Eight Fold Path and the Four Noble truths to help them reach Nirvana.

    I also found it interesting that Buddhas main ideas came from the Four Noble Truths.

    Islam:
    I found it surprising that there are 1.7 billion Muslims in the world and it is the youngest and fastest growing religion.

    I found it interesting that Muslims have many achievements in math, science, arts, and astronomy.

    Judaism:
    I thought it is interesting that Jewish people believe in the Wailing Wall. The place where they believe the Messiah will appear.

    I think its interesting that the Talmud is the Jewish peoples holy book and it is made up of 5 different sections.

    Christianity:
    I found it interesting that there are many different branches off of Christianity.

    I found it surprising that there are 2.2 billion Christians in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Juliana,

    I also found it interesting that Islam is the youngest and fastest growing religion .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Albert,
    i also found it shocking that Abraham was the founder of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Liam,
    The biggest promoter of Islamaphobia is the media. Many conservative networks focus on the negatives of Islam, so their listeners/watchers believe what they could say. Many liberal networks try to not focus on the negative aspect, though.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hinduism:
    I found it interesting that they put people in caste systems.
    I found it interesting that there was no single founder.
    Buddhism:
    I found it interesting that the Buddha meditated under the fig tree until he reached enlightenment.
    I also found it interesting that they have to follow the eight fold path and the 4 noble truths to help them reach nirvana.
    Islam:
    I found it shocking that Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet who was chosen to help spread the word of God.
    I found it interesting that Muslims have to follow the five pillars.
    Judaism:
    I found it interesting that girls and boys have a bar/bat mitzvahs to go into adulthood.
    I also found it interesting that orthodox Jews are vegetarians.
    Christianity:
    i found it interesting that Christians wear crosses even though that is where Jesus died.
    i found it shocking that there is 2.1 billion Christians in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  35. kendall,
    I also found it interesting that they believe in the wailing wall where the Jews believe the messiah will reappear.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Albert,
    I also think its shocking that all the gods of Hinduism are incarnations of Brahman.

    ReplyDelete
  37. -Hinduism
    hindus are born into a caste that describes role in life
    in the hindu culture, cows are sacred animals and are not killed for food
    -Buddhism
    officially started when Buddha was enlightened and spread his knowledge
    some buddhist give up their Nirvana to help others achieve theirs
    -Judaism
    most jews keep kosher for their meat
    it was shocking to realize if the holocaust hadn't occurred, there would be more jewish people today
    -Christianity
    all 2.1 billion followers believe in jesus-the messiah
    catholic people believe the pope is the closest in power to god on earth
    -islam
    the fastest growing religion today
    in the pilgrimage to Mecca and Kaaba all muslims ware white to symbolize they are all equal

    ReplyDelete
  38. albert,
    abraham plays a big role in some of these religions because he was contacted by angel Gabriel, Just like Mary in christianity and Mohammed in islam. Abraham is almost like base of the family tree that connects these 3 religions

    ReplyDelete
  39. Liam,
    depending on what you hear or believe, the media is probably the biggest promoter in Islamophobia. Either if Conservative or Liberal the media gives false info to defend or blame Muslims for things they believe and do. Usually the news is the biggest role of Islamophobia because they dont think before they post or quote something good or bad about Islam on live tv. (this is my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Why did Mohammed dedicate the Kaaba as a sacred shrine to Allah?
    is Hinduism the oldest religion in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Liam,
    The Ganges River is Hindus place of worship. It is where they clean their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  42. 2 interesting things about hinduism
    -i found it interesting that hindus follow a caste system
    -i found it interesting that hindus belive them selves to be monotheistic because all their gods are avatars of brahmin

    2 interesting things about buddhism
    -i found it interesting that siddartha was born a hindu prince
    -i found it suprising that buddah took poisoned food and ate just so that he wouldn't be rude

    2 interesting things about judaism
    -i found it interesting that the foundation of judaism who was set by abraham was alot earlier than when moses started up juadism again
    -i found it interesting that jews believe the messiah will return to the wailling wall

    2 interesting things about chritianity
    -i found it interesting that paul was a non-beliver but then changed and became to be one of the most important people of spreading christianity
    -i found it interesting that the king would do anything even kill all the two year old boys just so thta jesus would die

    2 interesting things about islam
    -i found it interesting that muslims face mecca while praying
    -i found it shocking that people tried to kill muhammed

    ReplyDelete
  43. james,
    answering your 2 questions...
    -the kaaba used to be dedicated to all the idols but when he tought that there is only one god he then dedicted it too allah
    -hinduism is the oldest religion

    ReplyDelete
  44. ben,
    i also found it interesting how angle gabrial paled a big role in many religions even though there are different gods

    ReplyDelete
  45. albert,

    Religions are founded off of other religions because people don't like aspects of their religion so they change it and make their own fixing what they don't believe about their old religion, ex. Sidartha was a hindu who created buddhism.

    ReplyDelete
  46. thanks liz

    -why do jews think the messiah will appear at the
    wailing wall and no where else?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hinduism
    -There is no single founder
    -All the Gods are forms of Brahma

    Buddhism
    -Buddha found enlightenment by meditating under the fig tree
    -Buddha didnt give into temptation while meditating under the tree

    Judaism
    - Jewish people don't believe that Jesus was the messiah
    -The wailing wall is the place where Jewish people believe the messiah will appear one day

    Christianity
    -Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus
    -Christians believe that the Pope is the religious leader on Earth

    Islam
    -I didn't even there was such thing as Islamophobia until we learned about it
    -Muslims believe Jesus was a good prophet but they don't think he was the "Son of God"

    Questions:
    -What religions did Angel Gabriel appear in?
    -What are the 3 main branches of Christianity?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ben,
    I also thought that it was interesting that the Caste System determines how you are treated in your life. I don't think that it is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Shawn,
    Jews don't believe that Jesus was the song of god.They believe that he was a good prophet though.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hinduism
    1. I found it interesting that there is no single founder for Hinduism.
    2. I found it surprising that Hindus have a caste system.
    Buddhism
    1. i found it shocking that the buddha was born Hindu.
    2. i thought it was interesting that the buddha left his palace, wife and kids to acheive elightenment.
    Judaism
    1. It is interesting that jews believe that the messiah will reapear at the wailing wall
    2. I found it interesting Abraham would give his son to show that he was committed to God.
    Christianity
    1. It is surpising that Easter is the most important holiday
    2. i found it interesting that there are many braches of christianity
    Islam
    1. i thought it was interesting that Muslims dont think Jesus is the Messiah
    2. i found it surpising that islam is the fastest growing religion in the world

    ReplyDelete
  51. gillian v,
    Angel Gabriel appeared in Christianity and Islam

    ReplyDelete
  52. gillian v, ya Muslims dont think that the Messiah was Jesus nor Muhammad. they think he has yet to come.......

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hinduism-
    - I found it shocking that the Hindus live by the caste system.

    - I found it interesting that there is no single founder of Hinduism-- It was just founded by two cultures coming together.

    Buddhism-
    - I thought that it was really odd how Siddarta had a problem with all the suffering in the world, but instead of trying to find a solution to it, he just wanted to feel the suffering.

    - I found it interesting the Siddarta started meditating under the Bohdi tree because he wanted to help the ants that were being killed in the harvest, but he came out of meditation with being enlightened.

    Judaism-
    - I think that the rules for foods being "Kosher" is really interesting-- they believe that you can eat animals only if they are killed a certain way.

    - I found that in the Torah there was some really good writing, and I found that interesting.

    Christianity-
    - I found it interesting that Christians wear the cross sometimes, even though that is where Jesus was killed.

    - I find it interesting that there are so many branches of Christianity.

    Islam-
    - I think that it is really cool that Islam is a religion of Peace.

    - I find it disgusting and revolting that Muslims are discriminated against because of ignorant people who don't know anything about the Islam religion. The thought that Islamaphobia has gotten to the point that people are being killed is terrible.

    Questions:
    I don't have any

    Myles M,
    I also find it interesting that Islam is both the youngest and the fastest growing religion in the world.

    Emily,
    I too find it interesting that Muslims have to follow the Five Pillars.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hinduism-i find it interesting that they believe they are monotheistic even though they worship many gods he takes different forms

    Islam- i found it shocking that media plays a large role in Islamophobia

    Judaism-I found it interesting that the torah is the holy book and has the first testament which christians also have

    Buddhism- I found it intersting that only buddha can know when he became enlightened

    christianity- i found it interesting that they believe in the first testament and the new testament because the first testament is the holy book of one religion itself but the bible the christian holy book had 2 testaments in it. :)
    questions: what is the talmud?
    questions: what are the brances of buddhism?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gillian V.,
    The three brances of christianity of are catholic,protestant,and orthodox

    ReplyDelete
  56. Kendall M,
    i also find it interesting Buddhists have to follow the Eight Fold Path and the Four Noble truths to help them reach Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hinduism
    1.i found it interesting that this religion has no single founder
    2.i found it shocking how brahmin has so many avatars

    Buddhism
    1.i found it surprising hoow long the buddha went without seeing suffering
    2.i found it shocking how far the buddha went with not eating and just mediating

    Judaism
    1.i found the wailing wall interesting
    2.i found it shoucking how they didnt believe jesus was the messiah

    christianity
    1.i found it surprising how many braches this religion has
    2.i found it shocking how mary got prengnat without commiting adultery

    Islam
    1.i found surprising that muslims pray 5 times a day
    2.i found it shocking that muhammad married his 40 year boss at 25

    questions
    why are the 10 commandments important?

    ReplyDelete
  58. liam,
    i don't think there is really anything promting islamphobia just things promting that islam is basically a bad religion

    ReplyDelete
  59. angie,
    not all muslims(men?) treat women poorly only ones that take the religion to the extreme also islam does not promte treating women bad at all

    ReplyDelete
  60. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  61. hinduism:
    1. i found it interesting that hindus live by the a cast system.
    2. i found it shocking that there is no single founder of the Hindu religion!!!!

    buddhism:
    1.i found it intersting that their god brahmin can take the form of many other gods.
    2. i found it shocking that the buddah was born a hindu prince and created a seperate religion!!!!

    Judhism:
    1. i found it iteresting that Jews believe that their massiah will return to them near a place called the walling wall.
    2. i found it shocking that even though they saw Jesus preform so many mericals, they still doughted him as their massiah, and then had him killed!!!!

    christianity:
    1. i found it interesting that mary was a virgin when baby Jesus was born.
    2. i found it shocking that the king would do so much as have all little boys it the town killed just so baby Jesus would be killed and he would be king for ever!!!!!!!

    Islam:
    1. i found it interesting that muslims are to pray 5x per day-- do they still do it if there in public, and how??
    2. i found it shocking that people think that they can say "all muslims..." when they will never know what is in someone elses heart, they instantly put muslims in a group when they dont even know how not even one of them are feeling or thinking.

    :) shahni (:

    ReplyDelete