Instructions for the World Religions Blog
1) What are the TWO most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam? Make sure you post two things for each religion (5 religions x 2 comments =10 total)
2) What questions do you still have about Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity or Islam?
3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts, commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking and/or answering the questions they posted. Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.
***You may use a bullet point list or paragraph format. Be sure to post complete thoughts.***
YOUR POST & 2 RESPONSES ARE DUE BY SUNDAY,JANUARY 9 AT MIDNIGHT
**This blog will count as your quiz grade for term 2**
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1) The two most interesting things I learned about each of the religions we studied are:
ReplyDeleteIslam: In Islam it surprised me that most of the things we think we know about Islam are actually myths and so it creates Islamaphobia. It was interesting to me that most Muslims don't live in the Middle East, but most live in the Indonesia.
Judaism: In Judaism it surprised me that if you are Jewish, you get your religion traced back through your mother to see if you really are Jewish. It was interesting to me that the Jews believe that their messiah is still to come and regain peace to the world.
Hinduism: In Hinduism, it surprised me that it is monotheistic, but Brahman can take multiple forms that they each worship but it is all the same one God. I found it interesting that the Hindu people follow the caste system so severly and some punishments are death if you step out of line.
Christianity: In Christianity, it was surprising to me that Christianity is so closely related to Judaism. I found it interesting that Jesus was prosecuted because he had different ideas and so they thought he would wreak their religion, so they killed him.
Buddhism: In Buddhism, I found it surprising that a spoiled prince founded the religion because he saw one time a sick man, a dead man, and a holy man so he decided to go out and seek enlightenment. It was interesting to me that how in Buddhism, unlike Hinduism, the caste system was abolished and the people don't have to worry about doing specific work, but they are still in the cycle of reincarnation trying to reach Nirvana.
2) Questions I have about the religions are:
Why can't people work out their differences about religion, rather than fighting?
Why in Hinduism do they use the Ganges River as a place of worship if it's so dirty?
Is there any one true fact that is the same about all the religions?
The interesting facts for each relgion:
ReplyDeleteIn Hindiusm I learned thier was no sinsle founder.It was a mix of the Aryan and the exiting Indian cuture. Also that they had this caste system where you where put in these different groups and you could only marry some in that group.
In Buddhims i learned that they belive in the Eight Fold Path and the Four Noble Truths. Also that they belive in the cycle of rencarnation.
In Judaism something i found interesting was that they were slaves in Egypt for 40 years then Moses lead them to the promise land(isreal). Also that some Jews are kosher which means they do not mix meat with dairy products.
In Christianity something i found interesting was that Christianity and Judiasm are very similiar but also very different. Also That mary Magdolyn was the first one to noice Jesus was gone and reserected.
In Islam something I found interesting was that in the past women had more freedom than they do now. Also that the Shari'ah law is so harsh.
Questions:
1. Why can't in Hinduism people marry out of their caste?
2. Why is the Shari'ah law so harsh in thier punishments?
3. Why does the media make Islam seem like such a bad relgion?
Dear Madelyn,
ReplyDeleteTheir is not a true fact that is the same in all the religions. Also the Ganges river is so important to Hindus is that they believe it came from the gods and that is why it is so important.
The two things I found most intresting about the five religions are
ReplyDeleteChristianty: It was called The Way at first. One of the people that hated Jesus at first turned into one of his greastest apostle.
Judaism: That the Torah is in the old testament. How in some branches flipping a light switch on is consider work.
Islam: A man can have up to five wives. That Muslims can't draw Allah.
Buddhism: The Buddha gave up a life of wealth. That he willing took food that would kill him.
Hinduism: The caste system is still used today. There are many gods but all are forms of Brahmin.
Questions
1. If all the other Hindu gods are avatars of Brahmin, then why don't Hindus just worship Brahmin?
2. Why did the Buddha take food that would kill him?
Madelyn
ReplyDeleteI think that some people do try to work out there diffrences without fighting but some people believe in their religion so much that the would die for it.
Madison
ReplyDeleteYou can't marry someone out of you caste because you will be reincarnted as something worse then you are.
Hinduism
ReplyDelete1.I'm shocked people who believed in the caste system would go in great lengths to kill kids who associate and fall in love with other kids from a different caste such as the couple Hindus Vishal,
A high caste such as Brahmin and Sonu,and a lower caste Jat.
2.I'm interested the caste system keeps going on and there's racism.
Why didn't racism end in the caste system already?
I wonder how India is still over populated and struggling with poverty?
Buddhism
1.I'm interested Siddhartha Gautama rejected the caste system and other traits of the Hindu lifestyles except Reincarnation.
2.I'm shocked he was the victim of assassination attempts by his cousin monk Devadatta.
I wonder exactly what Enlightenment means anyway?
Why can't Buddhists criticize the caste system a lot and debate?
Judaism
I'm shocked Jews believe that Jesus wasn't the Messiah and think a new Messiah will appear.
I surprised some Jews believe he is the Messiah.
I wonder if another Messiah will come?
I wonder why Abraham didn't have any followers?
Christianity
I'm surprised Christianity was founded before Islam.
I'm interest to go to a Catholic and Protestant Church.
I wonder why Catholics and Protestants won't bury the hatchet and not follow peace solutions?
I wonder if Orthodox are taking a side to this matter?
Islam
I'm shocked women are suffering mistreatment.
I'm interested in learning Islamophobia.
Why did the News portray Muslims as Terrorists?
Why do women suffer mistreatment?
Madelyn,The reason why Hindus use the Ganges River as a place of worship because the water is very sacred to them because it allegedly cleans you of your sins, continues the life and death cycle, and honors Brahma as well as the Ganga goddess.
Colman,
ReplyDeleteThe reason that Buddha took food that would kill him was because he did not want to offend the Blacksmith Cunda.Buddha told his attendant Ananda that the food didn't cause his passing but it became his greatest source of merit as it provided the last meal for Buddha.
Hinduism: I found it shocking that they killed people when they married someone outside of their caste. I find it interesting they believe in reincarnation.
ReplyDeleteBuddhism: I find it interesting the Prince gave up everything to search for enlightenment. i find it surpring he didn't believe in the caste system because that's the way he was braught up.
Juddasim: I find it interesting that Israel is their promised land.I find it shocking they were slaves in Egypt for 40 years.
Christianity: I find it interesting that at first they thought Jesus would be the Jewish Messiah. I find it shocking that the King of Bethelam tries to kill Jesus and a bunch of other little boy babies.
Islam: I find it shocking that a man can have up to 3 wives. I find it surpising that women don't have equal rights.
Remaining Questions:
1. Do some places still go by the caste system?
2. How did everyone feel about Prine Gautama leaving the palace.
3. Why did God promise Israel as their promised land?
4. Why did Constantine spread Chritianity?
Madelyn,
ReplyDeleteI too found it interesting that Judaism and Christianity were so closely related.
Madison,
ReplyDeleteI also find it interesting that Jewish people can't eat Kosher.
Two things i found interesting was that Islam, Judaism,and Christianity is that they are all have things that are the same. Another thing is that kids at the age of 5 have to become monks and then in later life they decide if the don't want to be one anymore(Buddhism). Why is there conflict between Catholics and Protestants.
ReplyDeleteColman Hindus worship diffrent gods because each one means a diffrent thing
ReplyDeleteMadsion the media makes all Muslims look bad becuase of 9/11.
ReplyDeleteHinduism:
ReplyDelete1.I found it shocking how strict the caste system is.
2.I found it interesting how there are so many gods in the hindu religion but their really just the same god.