DUE SUNDAY MAY 1
1) What are the FIVE most interesting, surprising, and/or shocking things you have learned about the Ottoman Empire.
2) What questions do you still have about the Ottoman Empire?
3) Respond to at least TWO of your classmates’ posts in the following ways
-commenting on what they found most interesting/surprising/shocking
or
-answering the questions they posted.
or
-by posing follow-up questions to a classmates' post
*Only provide answers to your classmates’ questions when you are fairly confident you know the answer.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Five most interesting things that I learned about the Ottoman Empire:
ReplyDelete1. The Ottomans took control over almost as much territory as the Roman Empire did.
2. I found it shocking how much family murders were committed within the Ottoman Empire, like Sulieman murdering his son. A lot of the Sultans did this stuff.
3. I found it surprising how the Ottomans were religiously tolerant, unlike some of those countries they ruled around today.
4. I found it interesting how the Ottomans took over Constantinople, like how they carried ships over to the other side of the sea so that they could attack the city on two sides.
5. I found it interesting how the Ottomans took Christian boys to be turned into Janissaries (the most trusted soldiers of the Empire) instead of Muslim boys.
Questions:
1. Why did the Ottomans choose Christian boys (who later converted) instead of originally Muslim boys?
2. Why were the Sultans tolerant of other religions like Christianity and Judaism in their empire when they were not tolerant of other branches of Islam than their own?
5 interesting things i learned about the ottoman empire:
ReplyDelete1. I found it interesting that, the Ottoman Empire did not force their religions on Christians and Jews.
2. It was shocking how the ottoman empire made churches into mosques.
3. It was shocking how the Ottoman Empire lasted over 600 years.
4. It was interesting how, the Ottoman Empire tolerated other religions but made non-muslims pay taxes.
5. Ghazis are strong warriors who fought for the ottoman empire.
Questions:
1. Was Sulleyman's wife also killed, when his son was killed?
Five things that I learned from the Ottoman empire:
ReplyDelete1) I found it interesting that the Ottoman empire did not force the muslim religion onto the Christians and Jews. the Christians and Jews only had to pay a tax to live there.
2)I also found it interesting the the Ottoman Empire won the battle against Constantine.
3)I was surprised that Christians boys were taken and trained to become Janissaries
4)I was surprised that the Ottoman Empire took over as much land as the Roman Empire did.
5) I was surprised that there were many castles with 2000 woman in them.
5 interesting things:
ReplyDelete1.I found it interesting that the ottomans let Jews and Christians practice freely but they didn't want other Muslims in there empire
2.I thought it was very interesting that Suleyman's death was kept secret to protect his empire
3.I thought it was very interesting that the previous rulers of constantinople just wanted the city, but then the ottoman empire conquered it anyways
4.I thought it was very interesting that Suleymanwas so paranoid of someone taking over his position that he killed many of his sons and his close friend
5.I thought it was very interesting that salesman was very interested in the arts
**Suleyman
ReplyDeleteNot salesman
Albert,
ReplyDeleteOther branches didn't follow parts of the Koran, like that you didn't have to make pilgrimage to Mecca they could just make a smaller pillgramige
Kendall,
ReplyDeleteI also found it very interesting that there were 2000 women in a castle
1. i found it interesting that the Ottoman Empire turned the churches into mosques.
ReplyDelete2. unlike alot of other religions would of have, the Ottoman did not bother to force their own religion onto the other people, they just had them payed taxes.
3. i was very shocked and sad to know that Suleyman was reponsible for killing his own son and his close friends. it's sad to know that he rather his position than his family and friends.
4. i found it interesting/smart that the Ottoman hid Suleyman death from people.
5. and that Ottoman ruled for 600 years.
1) I found it shocking that the Rebelion of Aurangzed actively tries to conquer all of India and got most of it excepted in the South.
ReplyDelete2)I found it interesting that Mehmet aimed to recreate Byzantine Empire as an Islamic state attempted to rely on Italian culture and fashion.
3) I found it surprising that under Osman Bey the Ottomans began to expand broadly from 1290-1326 by organizing Steppe peoples in Central Asia.
4) I found it surprising that the Ottoman Warfares used foot soldiers with guns, not horseback riding archers.
5) I found it interesting Sulyman sparked a period similar to the Renaissance in the Muslim world with new art and literature.
My Questions:
Since Sulyman killed his son, what kind of a problem did Sulyman had against him?
How did the Ottoman Empire form?
Was Sulyman the ruler of the Ottoman Empire?
Liz, I also found it surprising that churches like Haghia Sophia were transformed into mosques, though many Christian features still remained.
ReplyDeleteAlbert, I found it interesting that the Turks believed they were warriors for Islam, called Ghazis.
ReplyDelete1. I found it interesting that Suleyman was so paranoid that he killed his best friend and his son because he thought they were planning to overthrow him.
ReplyDelete2. I found it interesting that the Ottomans allowed Christians and Jews to practice their religion freely, as long as they paid taxes.
3. I found it interesting/ shocking that the Ottomans took young Christian boys, converted them to Islam and turned them into janissaries.
4. I found it interesting that the downfall of the Ottoman Empire was because the rulers killed many of their heirs, since they were so paranoid.
5. I found it interesting that the Ottoman Empire lasted the longest out of the Muslim Empires: the Mughal and the Safavid.
Questions:
1. Who was Suleyman's heir if he killed his son?
Shawn,
ReplyDeleteSuleyman killed his son because one of his wives told him that his son was planning to overthrow him and take his position.
Liz,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the Ottomans hid Suleyman's death from the people to protect the empire.
5 things I found interesting..
ReplyDelete1) I found it interesting that the ottomans accepted any religion as long as you payed taxes.
2)I thought it was interesting that they had better weapons like guns so they capture consantinople.
3) I found it shocking that he killed his own son.
4) I found it interesting that the ottomans ruled for the longest time, about 600 years.
5) I found it interesting that they turned churches into mosques but left some christain features in it.
Questions..
1) Why did he kill his own son?
Julianna,
ReplyDeleteI also wondered why he killed his own son? I thought it didn't seme very right for him to do that.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI also thought that his wife was killed. But maybe she wasn't i am not too positive on that.
The five most interesting facts about the Ottoman Empire I thought included:
ReplyDelete1) How the Ottomans use of guns and gunpowder increased both their trade ( gunpowder having been a valuable and expensive product that could be sold for a great price), and their territory.
2) How the Ottomans would allow the practice of other religions, mainly of Christianity and Judaism( both being relatively close to Islam in sharing both prophets and major concepts), as long as the other religious groups payed the taxes needed.
3)The use of human taxation to collect young Christian boys for the purpose of training them to become the Sultan's Jainassaries, a group of highly trained military officers and consultants to the Sultan.
4) The Ottoman's origination in Central Asia, and how Uthman was able to focus all of the once nomadic people west to Turkey.
5) How Suleyman's interest in the arts allowed the Ottoman's culture to grow as well, not having the empire be completely military.
Questions:
1. How did World War One effect the Ottoman Empire?
2. Did the Ottoman empire reach into North Africa, or did the empire stay farther East?
1. I found it shocking that the Topkapi Palace housed 10 mosques 14 bathhouses 2 hospitals 2,000 woman and 4,000 horses.
ReplyDelete2.I am surprised that the ottomans allowed Christians and Jews places in their society.
3.I find it shocking that the sultan would take Christian boys and convert them to Islam, even though it gives them a better opportunity to become generals and high up in society.
4.I find it interesting that by the late 1500's the Ottomans controlled approximately 1/3 of Europe.
5.I find it shocking that sultans had their brothers strangled and encouraged their sons to kill each other off so the strongest would lead.
Were the christian churches that they turned into mosques ever turned back into Christian churches?
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the ottomans accepted other religions as long as you payed taxes. I don't think that they allowed ANY religion because the allowed the Christians and Jews because they are people of the book.
Julianna,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that suleyman killed his best friend and his son.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteSuleyman's wife was not killed when his son was killed. His wife was the one who convinced him to kill his son.
Yusuf,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting how the Ottomans originated in Central Asia and how one man was able to focus all of the Nomadic people into Turkey.
5 things I found interesting/shocking/surprising:
ReplyDelete1. I found it shocking that the Ottoman Empire lasted from 1300-1918. Many empires/countries we have studied have not been as powerful for so long and it makes me wonder how they could last for that period of time.
2. I found it interesting that the Hagia Sofia, originally a church, became a mosque yet still kept some of its Christian features.
3. I found it surprising that one of the short-term effects of the fall of Constantinople was an increase of European desire to find an Asian sea route. The two don't really seem connected to one another.
4. I found it shocking that the Christian parents had little to no control of sending their boys to become Janaissaries. It seems unfair to take children and change the beliefs they were raised by just so they could fight.
5. I found it interesting that Suleyman's death was hidden and for 43 days, his workers forged his signatures; this would seem a little unlikely to be believed by the people.
Questions:
1. Is there any specific requirements for a Turk to become a ghazi?
2. Did Europeans want to explore because of the fall of Constantinople so the same thing did not happen to their countries?
Javana,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the Topkaki Palace had 2,000 women and 4,000 horses. I wonder where they kept the horses in the palace and still could have room for the women and men.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the Ottomans let you practice any religion as long as you paid taxes. As an empire based on Islam, it surprises me that they didn't kick out any Christians or Jews because they failed to believe in Muhammad.
Shawn,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that Suleyman sparked a period similar to the Renaissance for Muslims in terms of art and literature. Being so focused on power, it surprises me that he still cared about those kinds of things.
5 things I found interesting, shocking, or surprising-
ReplyDelete• I found it shocking that the Turks would take little boys, from their families, at a very young age, convert them to islam, and have them be trained intensely to become warriors, (The very best would become Jannaisaries) because that is something that I think would never happen in society today.
• I found it interesting that Sulleyman's death was hidden for 43 days while they were in a war, because it shows that even back then, they had tactics to win battles.
• I found it surprising that the Ottoman's let Christians and Jews live in harmony with them, because at that time, it seems like there was a lot of religious tension, and they seemed sort of beyond their time to do that.
• I found it interesting that the Hagia Sofia was a mosque, that the Ottoman Turks took over and made a mosque, but it still possessed some of the same features from when it was a church, because it seems like if you were a certain religion you wouldn't want remnants of another religion in your holy place.
• I found it shocking that the ruling powers would kill their own family because they were so afraid that they were going to be killed by one of them so that they could take over, because i just can't wrap my head around killing anyone, let alone a family member.
Questions--
• Who took Sulleyman's place once he died, since he murdered his son?
Responces--
•Lisa- No, I don't think that Sulleyman killed his wife when he killed his son, because he wasn't paranoid that she was going to kill him, he was only worried that his son was. I do wonder, though, how his wife responded to her child being killed by her husband.
•Emily- Sulleyman killed his son because someone told him that his son was plotting against him so that his son could be of power.
interesting things:
ReplyDelete-i found it interesting that when sulyman died, the people kept it hidden for 43 days beacuase they didnt want the town people to lose control
-i found it interesting that they used cannons to take down the walls of constantinople
-i found it interesting that achurch called hagia sofia was turned into a mousque but still had some christian features
-i found it interesting that the ottomans let jews and chriastians practice their religion freely as long as they paid taxes and stayed loyal.
-i found it interesting that the ottamans took christian boys and made them into janissaries to fight in war
Question:
why did sulyman listen to that lady and killl his own son?
was there any founder of the ottaman empire?
Responses:
emma,
i also found it interesting that they hid sulymans death for 43 days
garret,
i also found it interesting that the christian boys were turned into to jannisaries
5 Things I found interesting, shocking,or surprising:
ReplyDelete-The Ottoman Empire allowed people to practice any religion, as long as they payed taxes.
-I found it shocking that Christian boys were taken away to become Janaissaries. It seems depressing.
-Some mothers tried to poison other woman's children, so that their child could lead.
-I found it shocking that Sulleyman improved the lives of slaves.
-I found it surprising that the Ottoman Empire ruled for 600 years.
Questions:
-Was Sulleyman's son really trying to over throw him?
-Why didn't anyone tell people that Sulleyman had died?
Emily,
ReplyDeleteHe killed his own son because he thought that he was trying to kill him and become the leader.
Liz,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that he was interested in the arts. You wouldn't think that someone as powerful as him would be.
Gillian
ReplyDeleteThey didn't tell anybody that Sulleyman died because they did not want other countries to find out and try to take over the empire.
Liam
ReplyDeleteHe listened to his wife because she said his son was planning to over throw him and wanted to become the leader of the empire.
5 Facts:
ReplyDelete1. I found it very interesting that the Ottomans let Christians and Jews in their empire, yet still taxed them and not Muslims.
2. I found it shocking that Christian boys were taken from their how and forced to be Janissaries, highly trained soldiers.
3. I found it interesting that Suleyman the Great was a poet and a sultan.
4. I found it shocking that Suletman's death was hidden for 43 days so that enemies would not overthrow them.
5.I found it very surprising that the Ottomans ruled for 600 years and still ruled in the early 1900's.
Questions:
What is the name of the type of government that the Ottomans had?
Why was Constantinople changed to Istanbul?
the 5 things I found most interesting were:
ReplyDelete1. Suleyman loved the arts, and wrote his own poetry.Seems like a guy with that power would have somebody write his poetry for him.
2.the Janissaries were supposed to swear allegiance to the Suleyman.
3. i was shocked that Suleyman wore make up in his old age since he rarely went out
4.I was shocked that Suleyman killed his favorite son and his best friend.
5.Suleyman promoted religious tolerance(as long as taxes were paid)
---------QUESTION-----------------------
Would someone back then convert to Islam so they wouldnt have to pay taxes?
Javana-
ReplyDeleteI also found it very interesting that the Topkapi Palace was so big. I wonder how many square feet i was and how long it took to build it?
Julianna,
ReplyDeleteSuleyman killed his son and friend because he heard rumors that his son was plotting to kill him and take power for himself.
Gillian, I also found it depressing
ReplyDeletethat the janissaries were taken away
from their homes to be converted
to Islam and be solidiers too.
Garrett-
ReplyDeleteI also thought it was interesting that parents of Christian boys had no control over their sons being taken to become Janissaries. I don't think it was right and if the Turks had religious tolerance why did the boys have to convert to Muslim?
5 things i found interesting
ReplyDelete-I found it shocking that the ottoman empire didn't force their religion on people and that they tolerated christians and jews beacuse they were followers of the book
-I found it interesting that no one would in power would really trust anyone even their families
-I found it interesting that the ottoman empire had superior weapons such as guns and cannons
-I found it interesting that non muslims had to pay taxes
-I found it shocking that the Topaki Palace had 10 mosques,2 hospitals,4,000 horses,14 bathhouses, and 2,000 women
Questions
-Did suleyman's wife know he was dead before the public knew?
Katrina R,
ReplyDeleteChristians boys who converted to islam and became soliders still had to pay taxes but I'm not sure about there rest of the people who converted
Emily,
ReplyDeleteSuleyman killed his own son beacuse his wife told him that he was plotting aganist him to go in power, and she just said that so her own son could go in power after suleyman died
1. I found it interesting that Suleyman's wife Rolexana told him that he would be overthrown by his son so that he would kill him and her son would become the next ruler.
ReplyDelete2. I also found it interesting that Suleyman captured Christian boys to be converted and raised as Muslim warriors ( Janissaries )
3. It was very interesting how because Suleyman could have many wives and many families, that there was so much controversy and lying to get others killed.
4. I found it interesting how Suleyman's best friend was a slave and his wife. It's not something you usually hear in history and it's strange.
5. The Ottomans use guns and gunpowder while everyone else used swords, it most likely helped them win most of their battles.
Questions
1. Where did the name Janissaries come from and what does it mean?
2. Why did he send assassins after son and friend?
Daysia
ReplyDeleteI don't think if they weren't telling anyone then she wouldn't know. Mainly because they didn't know who she would tell. And he had more than one wife.
Gillian V
ReplyDeleteThere is no proof that Suleyman's son was trying to overthrow him. But Suleyman believed Rolexana.
emily, he killed his son because his wife told him that his son was planning to take his empire.
ReplyDeleteben, sulleyman sent assassins after his friend also because he was probably also plotting something to take his empire like his son.
5 interesting things about the ottomans
ReplyDelete1. i found it shocking that their were so many family rivalries for the throne.
2. i found it interesting that the ottomans were the longest ruling muslim empire- about 600 years
3. the ottomans used muslits and cannons from the start of their rule unlike the mughals who didnt use guns untill their empire almost fell.
4. the ottomans took young christian boys, converted them to islam, trained them, and turned them into the most elite group of fighting warriors the ottomans had.
5. i found it interesting that the ottoman empire that is so intiminading,large, powerful would allow any religious practices as long as those people payed taxes.
1. It was surprising that they would take little boys from their families and convert them to Islam (Janissaries).
ReplyDelete2. I found it shocking that the Ottoman Empire lasted over 600 years.
3. It was shocking that family members would kill each other so that they would have power.
4. It’s interesting that the Ottomans accepted Jews and Christians.
5. I was surprised that while everyone else was using swords, the Ottomans had guns.
Question: How did they have guns when everyone else still used swords?
Katrina R,
ReplyDeleteGreat question. I don’t think that someone would give up all of their customs, beliefs, and all that just so they didn’t have to pay taxes.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteHe killed his son because he thought that his son was planning to kill him.